Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Allison, Bob" <ro...@qwest.com> on 2005/08/31 00:16:06 UTC

Lifecycle Plugin Development Assistance Request

I am working on a plugin to create a life cycle plugin to build RPMs.
As things stand right now, I have a plugin which defines the RPM life
cycle and contains mojos which just generate a warning so I know they
were called.  I have a project which uses packaging of rpm; running "m2
package" on that project runs the rpm mojos correctly.  (YEA!!)

Now comes the hard part:  making things work.  I would appreciate any
pointers, hints, suggestions, examples, etc., on how to do the
following:
-- I need a complex configuration in the POM to define the files which
need to be placed in the RPM; I have a pointer which was posted to the
developer's list on Monday on this so I think I have a reasonable start
on this
-- I would like to be able to have include and exclude lists in the
configuration, but I don't want to have to write the code to filter the
directory tree; any ideas?
-- I need to copy the files into a single directory tree for the
rpmbuild command to use to build the RPM file; is it possible to use the
plexus archiver to assemble the files into a directory and not build a
jar?
-- I was thinking of using the ant rpm task to do the actual work of
building the RPM file; any examples of having one mojo calling another
(assuming that I can access the rpm task from the antrun mojo)?

Thanks for the assistance and keep up the good work!

Re: Lifecycle Plugin Development Assistance Request

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Allison, Bob wrote:

>I am working on a plugin to create a life cycle plugin to build RPMs.
>As things stand right now, I have a plugin which defines the RPM life
>cycle and contains mojos which just generate a warning so I know they
>were called.  I have a project which uses packaging of rpm; running "m2
>package" on that project runs the rpm mojos correctly.  (YEA!!)

Cool. We are interested in this plugin as there was an m1 version so if
you'd like to contribute it back please let us know.

>-- I would like to be able to have include and exclude lists in the
>configuration, but I don't want to have to write the code to filter the
>directory tree; any ideas?

plexus-utils, org.codehaus.plexus.util.DirectoryScanner. It is used in
other plugins like the compiler and resources I think.

>-- I need to copy the files into a single directory tree for the
>rpmbuild command to use to build the RPM file; is it possible to use the
>plexus archiver to assemble the files into a directory and not build a
>jar?

I think someone recently added that as a feature request (possibly with
a patch that I haven't had a chance to review).

>-- I was thinking of using the ant rpm task to do the actual work of
>building the RPM file; any examples of having one mojo calling another
>(assuming that I can access the rpm task from the antrun mojo)?

You'd be better off using the ant task via Java.

There is another option here - should we add support for RPM to
plexus-archiver, using the code from Ant?

Note, the future plans for this are to introduce plexus-archiver to
jakarta-commons (there is already a compress module there based on the
same code from Ant).

- Brett