Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by John Pradeep <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/26 22:16:32 UTC

NEW to Shiro - desperate to know the status

Hi All,
I came across shiro as i was browsing the apache site, i am really
interested to be part of this project in contributing effectively.

Can anyone give  me a consolidated documents, current state, future scope
details? it would help me to jump into development as soon as possible.

Regards,
John

Re: NEW to Shiro - desperate to know the status

Posted by Moataz Elmasry <za...@googlemail.com>.
I would suggest following the tutorial on:
http://cwiki.apache.org/SHIRO/quickstart.html.

After that you might want to try out the couple of samples in the source
code. The source code doesn't have a java-doc api (not that I know of),
so you will want to generate the documentation yourself, or use the
documentation of the old jsecurity project http://www.jsecurity.org/docs
(but its not up-to-date)

regards, moataz

Posted by John Pradeep <ge...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all your responses, before i start, i will checkout the code and
start understanding the existing design for some time... i will pick up the
JIRAs once i am confident!

Regards,
John

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
> Certainly JIRA attachments are suitable for documentation and code.
>
> But I'd say that JIRA is a bad way to update a wiki, because wikis don't
> typically offer patch services.

I agree with you, but the point is that we don't open our Wikis to
everyone, so in order to allow people top update the wiki I see no
better way than using JIRA, and attach the modified page :/

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: NEW to Shiro - desperate to know the status

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Emmanuel,

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> If John intends to contribute more than a patch or two, and more than
> a few lines of code, he should file an ICLA. It's free, easy, and
> makes it easier on everyone.
That's definitively an option. The only issue with this is the delay
(probably a week or two).

JIRA attachements are most probably the best way before committership is
granted :
o JIRAs stay in the team's way
o One can attach doco in JIRAs (in other words: JIRA is not only for bad
code ;)

> And you're right about the wiki.
As you are using cwiki, and as the project is granting access to people
depending on their status (ie, write access to committers only), update
done on the wiki should be done through a patch, ie through JIRA.

However, this is just a possibility, and the PMC could decide that the
wiki is editable by anyone. You still have to deal with the ASF
ownership in this case, so I guess it's not a good idea to grant access
to everyone. You can also grant commit access to someone just improving
the doco...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: NEW to Shiro - desperate to know the status

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi John,

We're always looking for new contributors!  Don't forget that Apache
requires a Contributor License Agreement to be on file if you want to
contribute anything permanently to the project
(http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas), so please be sure to fill one
out and submit it if you think you'll be adding patches or
documentation, etc.

The best starting place as Moataz pointed out is definitely the shiro
wiki.  Everything we have currently is listed on that site.  And
Moataz is correct in that we don't have a publicly accessible version
of the API since moving to Apache - you'll need to generate that as
part of the Shiro maven build.

The biggest thing we need is a user manual for sure - the API
documentation (JavaDoc and source code comments) is pretty good as far
as Open Source projects go, but of course any suggestions there are
welcome.

I hope that helps!  Feel free to ask any questions along the way.

Cheers,

Les