Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/12/23 09:45:46 UTC

Installer for NetBeans bundled with the JDK

Hi all,

Good news, Reema has provided the sources and instructions for creating an
installer for NetBeans together with the JDK:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1052

Would be great if someone would try out the instructions and add
comments/insights to the PR above.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Installer for NetBeans bundled with the JDK

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Oh, I didn't know the Apache rules about GPL don't apply to convenience
binaries.

--emi

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 at 14:23, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Apache only releases source files.
>
> Just like the NetBeans binaries, an installer (bundled or not), is a
> convenience binary.
>
> Gj
>
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 12:19 PM Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Oh, that's a pretty big PR. I will try it next week and see if I can
> > create an installer.
> >
> > PS: Are we even allowed to bundle a JDK under Apache?
> >
> > --emi
> >
> > http://coolbeans.xyz/ - CoolBeans: An IDE for Java, JavaEE, PHP and
> more!
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 11:46 AM Geertjan Wielenga
> > <ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Good news, Reema has provided the sources and instructions for creating
> > an
> > > installer for NetBeans together with the JDK:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1052
> > >
> > > Would be great if someone would try out the instructions and add
> > > comments/insights to the PR above.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Gj

--emi

Re: Installer for NetBeans bundled with the JDK

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
But if you add them after the fact who vets for them? I imagine there
must still be some checks to see that the binary was produced from a
voted source and that the binary works or something. This means some
sort of (P)PMC vote the least to me. Or do we handle this on private@?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Yet another sideline, right now we are uploading the nbm-s to the apache
dist repository, signed and checksumed.
Of course we are serving them from there using redirects on our
netbeans-vm. But we are a bit standing out with that.

Producing 650+ signed binaries per release. Is it the right way to do that?

https://checker.apache.org/projs/incubator.html (check Emilian and me)

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
>> 2. Can Oracle or Amazon etc take NetBeans and then create an installer for
>> its JDK and include NetBeans in that installer?

>Yes, that's one of the main points of ALv2 :) Anyone can use/reuse our
>software as they see fit, as long as they respect our trademarks,
>patents, naming conventions etc.

PS: But can Oracle do a JDK + NetBeans 'bundle' (or something that
adds a few Oracle-specific modules)? I assume they can't release
something called 'NetBeans', correct?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Following on from this, it seems like there's going to be multiple
different installers and so on, i.e., one for Windows was introduced on the
mailing list today, there's also CoolBeans (coolbeans.xyz) with its
installer, and there's installer sources being worked on in a PR in Apache
NetBeans GitHub.

Should we simply list all these different options on the download page
(together with the Mac OSX installer solution that I saw floating around
via Twitter a day or two ago)?

Gj

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver Rettig <Ol...@orat.de>.
Hi Neil,

why do you prefer non-java-based installers?

Should'nt it be possible to create an installer with the nb-installer infrastructure which can
download a JDK? For my nb platform apps I bundle a JDK. I think also others should be
interested in creating installers with downloading the JDK as an Option.
Maybe a very small java-runtime can be created to run the nb-installer first.

best regards
Oliver

Posted by Erik Östlund <er...@gmail.com>.
I think using the Microsoft Store could be an interesting option. We could
package NetBeans with a dedicated JDK and ensure that they are both
up-to-date AND compatible with each other. It would basically be a
one-click process for new users to get started. I like the route Ubuntu has
taken by providing LTS and non-LTS-packages on the Microsoft Store. We
would do something similar with NetBeans and ship LTS-packages based on
Java 11 while the non-LTS-packages get their Java versions incremented
every six months.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Well, this opens another discussion. I don't believe Oracle or Amazon could
'bundle' NetBeans for trademark reasons.

They could, of course, create their own IDE based on Apache NetBeans.

--emi

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 at 15:08, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Oracle itseld could bundle NetBeans with its JDK, and/or Amazon with its
> JDK, and/or Azul, etc. The sources they’d need for doing that would be in
> the Apache NetBeans Github repo thanks to Reema’s PR.
>
> Gj
>
> On Sunday, December 23, 2018, Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>
> wrote:
>
> > Hey Geertjan,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, den 23.12.2018, 13:17 +0100 schrieb Geertjan Wielenga:
> > >
> > > Just like the NetBeans binaries, an installer (bundled or not), is a
> > > convenience binary.
> > >

> > The installer might be bundled (if build from donated code). A JDK
> > (that was Emilians question) is a different beast.
> >
> > My reading is, that the apache foundation won't accept GPL*/GPL-2-CP
> > binaries in files distributed by it. That means we can't create a
> > bundled release.
> >
> > That won't stop other though. An external project could create binaries
> > based on the Apache Netbeans source, that:
> >
> >  * bundles nb-javac (GPL-2-CP)
> >  * bundles a JDK (plain OpenJDK, Azul JDK, Corretto should all be GPL-
> >    2-CP)
> >  * bundles JavaFX (GPL-2-CP)
> >
> > Greetings
> >
> > Matthias

--emi

Re: Installer for NetBeans bundled with the JDK

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey Geertjan,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.