Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by thejas prasad <th...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/15 21:44:43 UTC

Why is mahout moving to spark?

Hey all,

 I am curious why mahout is moving away from spark? I mean it is here "The
Mahout community decided to move its codebase onto modern data processing
systems that offer a richer programming model and more efficient execution
than Hadoop MapReduce." But why did this happen?

And also is there a place I see all the previous emails, in the user/dev
list ?

Thanks,
Thejas

Re: Why is mahout moving to spark?

Posted by thejas prasad <th...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Yash,

Dimitriy: that is a fair answer and I read this and made more sense!
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~matei/papers/2010/hotcloud_spark.pdf. Made a
lot of sense..

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by peng <pc...@uowmail.edu.au>.
No it's not, spark is a superset of mapreduce. Besides the 'Hadoop
MapReduce' here should denotes a specific implementation rather than an
architecture

Posted by Yash Sharma <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thejas,
Can definitely help you out with the later querstion. You can use it for
any of your fav projects.

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/mahout-dev/

Peace,