Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org> on 2004/08/11 18:17:35 UTC

[J2] Jetspeed 2 M1 release ?

Scott T. Weaver wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>>
>> I think documentation and bundled demo portal would be the 2 other major
>> items requiring work in J2, but given the increasing stability of the
>> core of J2 and in a bid to help Fusion, we can possibly plan in the very
>> short term a "milestone" release of J2, ie Jestpeed 2 M1 is a JSR168
>> complaint portal, M2 would bring in customization, M3 new content
>> portlets
>> etc... until we get close to equal to the J1 features.
>

> I think milestone releases are a great idea.  Would also like to propose
> "bundled" binaries of J2 so people can expand and go.  I think one with
> Tomcat 5.x and one with JBoss 3.2.5 would be good for now.

Bundles can be cool but also major support headaches as you then need to
guide complete mewbies in the configuration of the Jetspeed but also the
bundled app server (like chaging the default port, etc...).
Long ago, kevin burton bundled jetspeed with tomcat for distribution but
we quickly killed this to provide stand-alone WARs that could be deployed
anywhere.

Another issue is that we can't distribute JBoss out of the ASF servers
for licensing issues : all releaseed binaries must be ASL2.0 and can't add
additionnal restrictions.

So maybe the best way to serve bundles would be to do it from a non ASF server
like Sourceforge.

I'll admit I have not completely caught up yet with the current status of J2
but if someone wants to become release manager and start tagging the J2 tree
for a M1 release I'm willing to test it on my different computers (SMP linux,
WinXP and MacOS X).

--
Raphael Luta - raphael@apache.org
Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java

Re: [J2] Jetspeed 2 M1 release ?

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>> Scott T. Weaver wrote:

>>> I think milestone releases are a great idea.  Would also like to
>>> propose "bundled" binaries of J2 so people can expand and go.  I
>>> think one with Tomcat 5.x and one with JBoss 3.2.5 would be good for
>>> now.
>>>

>> Bundles can be cool but also major support headaches as you then need to
>> guide complete mewbies in the configuration of the Jetspeed but also the
>> bundled app server (like chaging the default port, etc...).
>> Long ago, kevin burton bundled jetspeed with tomcat for distribution but
>> we quickly killed this to provide stand-alone WARs that could be deployed
>> anywhere.
>>
> J2's deployment model is more complex than a single WAR file.
> This is why to me, a bundle would be more attractive
> Users could be up and running with a Hypersonic embedded db immediately

Understood. I'm not saying bundles are a bad idea, it's just that they can
prove a real support burden because they'll usually be used by newbies or
non-technical people...

>> Another issue is that we can't distribute JBoss out of the ASF servers
>> for licensing issues : all releaseed binaries must be ASL2.0 and can't
>> add
>> additionnal restrictions.
>>
> I'd be glad to host a  JBoss distribution here if needed

Hmmm... I think that would be a very bad idea unless you don't plan to use
your Internet bandwidth anytime soon :) It's way better to use SF and its
mirror systems to distribute large binaries like a J2+JBoss bundle.

>> So maybe the best way to serve bundles would be to do it from a non
>> ASF server
>> like Sourceforge.
>>
>> I'll admit I have not completely caught up yet with the current status
>> of J2
>> but if someone wants to become release manager and start tagging the
>> J2 tree
>> for a M1 release I'm willing to test it on my different computers (SMP
>> linux,
>> WinXP and MacOS X).
>

> Im +1 on shooting for a M1 release to coincide with Jetspeed 1.6 release
> Im getting a lot closer on 1.6, the new features (Fusion, Portlet
> Registry, and Jetspeed Cluster) and pretty close

I think September would make good release targets for both J1 and J2.

Re: [J2] Jetspeed 2 M1 release ?

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Aug 11, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Raphaël Luta wrote:

> Scott T. Weaver wrote:
>> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>>>
>>> I think documentation and bundled demo portal would be the 2 other
>>> major
>>> items requiring work in J2, but given the increasing stability of the
>>> core of J2 and in a bid to help Fusion, we can possibly plan in the
>>> very
>>> short term a "milestone" release of J2, ie Jestpeed 2 M1 is a JSR168
>>> complaint portal, M2 would bring in customization, M3 new content
>>> portlets
>>> etc... until we get close to equal to the J1 features.
>> I think milestone releases are a great idea.  Would also like to
>> propose "bundled" binaries of J2 so people can expand and go.  I
>> think one with Tomcat 5.x and one with JBoss 3.2.5 would be good for
>> now.
>>

> Bundles can be cool but also major support headaches as you then need
> guide complete mewbies in the configuration of the Jetspeed but also
> the
> bundled app server (like chaging the default port, etc...).
> Long ago, kevin burton bundled jetspeed with tomcat for distribution
> but
> we quickly killed this to provide stand-alone WARs that could be
> deployed
> anywhere.

J2's deployment model is more complex than a single WAR file.
This is why to me, a bundle would be more attractive
Users could be up and running with a Hypersonic embedded db immediately

> Another issue is that we can't distribute JBoss out of the ASF servers
> for licensing issues : all releaseed binaries must be ASL2.0 and can't
> add
> additionnal restrictions.

I'd be glad to host a  JBoss distribution here if needed

> So maybe the best way to serve bundles would be to do it from a non
> ASF server
> like Sourceforge.
>
> I'll admit I have not completely caught up yet with the current status
> of J2
> but if someone wants to become release manager and start tagging the
> J2 tree
> for a M1 release I'm willing to test it on my different computers (SMP
> linux,
> WinXP and MacOS X).

Im +1 on shooting for a M1 release to coincide with Jetspeed 1.6 release
Im getting a lot closer on 1.6, the new features (Fusion, Portlet
Registry, and Jetspeed Cluster) and pretty close

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com