Posted to user@tez.apache.org by Grandl Robert <rg...@yahoo.com> on 2014/09/10 03:37:47 UTC

container size

Hi guys,

It seems the size of a container allocated to a task in Tez is static ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Is there a way such that Tez is dynamically choosing the task container size based on various things ? (like a map or reduce vertex, size of data to process, etc.)

At least for the tpcds/h queries I am running it looks containers are fixed size.

Thanks,
Robert

Re: container size

Posted by Grandl Robert <rg...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you guys for your answers. Really helpful.

@Bikas: Nice that Tez has these APIs to define container size.

@Hitesh: Yeah, I think Hive is using a single size for all its vertices, at least this happens for all the queries I am running, unfortunately (or good for my scenario).

 Thanks,
Robert

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 9:32 PM, Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi Robert,

From a Tez point of view, a user of the Tez APIs can define the container size on a per vertex basis. I believe currently, Hive, when using Tez, uses a single size for all its vertices.

thanks
— Hitesh

Re: container size

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

From a Tez point of view, a user of the Tez APIs can define the container size on a per vertex basis. I believe currently, Hive, when using Tez, uses a single size for all its vertices.

RE: container size

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
The container size is determined at compile time when creating the DAG.
There is black box user code running inside a task and so Tez cannot
determine a good size since it does not know whats running.

When tasks actually run in a container then Tez has APIs by which it tries
to divide a tasks memory resources among inputs/outputs and processor. At
that point inputs may use data size to make an ask for a % of the memory.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE