Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> on 2010/08/30 11:29:22 UTC

Re: column family names

Moving to the user list.

The new restrictions were added as part of  CASSANDRA-1377 for 0.6.5 and 0.7, AFAIK it's to ensure the file names created for the CFs can be correctly parsed. So it's probably not going to change.

The names have to match the \w reg ex class, which includes the underscore character.

Aaron

Re: column family names

Posted by Benjamin Black <b...@b3k.us>.
Exactly.

Re: column family names

Posted by Benjamin Black <b...@b3k.us>.
Then make a CF in which you store the mappings from UTF8 (or byte[]!)
names to CFs.  Now all clients can read the same mappings.  Problem
solved.

Still not solved because you have arbitrary, uncontrolled clients
doing arbitrary, uncontrolled things in the same Cassandra cluster?
You're doing it wrong.

Re: column family names

Posted by Terje Marthinussen <tm...@gmail.com>.

Re: column family names

Posted by David Boxenhorn <da...@lookin2.com>.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Terje Marthinussen <tmarthinussen@gmail.com

Re: column family names

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Terje Marthinussen
<tm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No benefit?
> Making it easier to use column families as part of your data model is a
> fairly good benefit

No, it's not.  (This is why I'm of the opinion that blog posts
encouraging thinking of the cassandra model as a 4-level nested hash
are counterproductive.)

Re: column family names

Posted by Terje Marthinussen <tm...@gmail.com>.
No benefit?