Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Justin F. Knotzke" <jk...@shampoo.ca> on 2003/07/11 22:34:37 UTC

Losing data on a upload with Mac

    Hi,

   I am having a small issue with a Mac (of which I know nothing). When
uploading a file on Linux or on Windows all of the data arrives
correctly. However with files larger then 500K or so on a Mac, not all
of the data arrives (say 506 when 512 should have arrived).

   I did some googling and I've read some things about losing the
resource fork and needing to convert to binhex or using some util called
stuffit.. all this to say that I am at a loss.

   Any ideas?

   Thanks

   Justin

--
Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@shampoo.ca

Re: Losing data on a upload with Mac

Posted by "Justin F. Knotzke" <jk...@shampoo.ca>.
<quote who=Erik Price date=[030711 16:41]/>

> Sorta OT, innit?

   I suppose and I apologize but the system is written using struts.. I
swear! ;)

> But, to answer your question, yeah Macs typically have two parts to
> every file, a resource fork, and a data fork.  When you move the file to
> a filesystem that doesn't know how to handle such files, the resource
> fork is just dropped.  Linux usually uses ext2fs or something like that,
> whereas Macs use HFS+.  You need to make sure that your files are "safe"
> for upload to a non-HFS+ filesystem, or that the repository where the
> files are being uploaded to can handle resource forks.

   Thank You.

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>    I am having a small issue with a Mac (of which I know nothing). When
> uploading a file on Linux or on Windows all of the data arrives
> correctly. However with files larger then 500K or so on a Mac, not all
> of the data arrives (say 506 when 512 should have arrived).
>
>    I did some googling and I've read some things about losing the
> resource fork and needing to convert to binhex or using some util called
> stuffit.. all this to say that I am at a loss.

Sorta OT, innit?

But, to answer your question, yeah Macs typically have two parts to
every file, a resource fork, and a data fork.  When you move the file to
a filesystem that doesn't know how to handle such files, the resource
fork is just dropped.  Linux usually uses ext2fs or something like that,
whereas Macs use HFS+.  You need to make sure that your files are "safe"
for upload to a non-HFS+ filesystem, or that the repository where the
files are being uploaded to can handle resource forks.

Note that in many cases the resource fork contains information that
isn't absolutely essential, such as which application should be used to
open the file by default on a Mac, or what icon should be used to
represent the file in the Finder... sometimes it is ok if this kind of
thing is lost, esp if the file is not destined to ever return to a Mac
again.

Erik