Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ma...@aol.com on 2001/05/06 23:42:37 UTC

Help with starting Tomcat

Hello.  Using Tomcat 3.2.1.  I've set the environment variable for
TOMCAT_HOME (I think), but I'm not sure how to set the environment variable
for JAVA_HOME.  My jdk's root directory is installed at the following
directory on my W98SE platform:  c:\jdk1.3.0_02.  Therefore, this is what I
did to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable.  At the DOS c:\ prompt, I
typed:  "c:\set JAVA_HOME=jdk1.3.0_02" then pressed enter.  Then, when I go
to execute "startup.bat" in the tomcat\bin directory, I get the message
"invalid command or file".  But, when I'm in Windows Exployer and
double-click on startup.bat, I get a DOS window message: "You must set
JAVA_HOME to point at your Java Development Kit installation".  Any help with
this is greatly appreciated.

Re: Help with starting Tomcat

Posted by Swamy <ss...@qwest.net>.
To set the JAVA_HOME golbally you should put the set in the autoexec.bat file.
Or you could do it in the command prompt as yopu were tring to do. Except add the 'c:\'
set JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.3.0_02

And then to run the bat file from the command prompt just type startup - no '.bat'

Good luck,
ss