Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/07/21 07:58:09 UTC

after you finish shooting me...

for the huge commit I just did to clean up most of the warnings from "gcc
-Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wnested-externs" ...

Would anyone mind if I started the Great Staticification of Apache ?

That is, I want to pass "gcc -Wmissing-prototypes".  Any function which
isn't prototyped in a header file is almost certainly not part of the API,
and shouldn't be global.

I want "nm -g mod_foobar.o" to yield a single global -- the module
structure.  (proxy excepted.)

Oh yeah and I won't even start on -Wwrite-strings.  That one is really
hopeless.  That one is the difference between using const *and really
meaning it*, and just using const as a documentation aid.

Dean

Re: after you finish shooting me...

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> for the huge commit I just did to clean up most of the warnings from
> "gcc
> -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wnested-externs" ...
>
> Would anyone mind if I started the Great Staticification of Apache ?

+1

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
ben@algroup.co.uk

Re: after you finish shooting me...

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>.
On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Would anyone mind if I started the Great Staticification of Apache ?
>
> That is, I want to pass "gcc -Wmissing-prototypes".  Any function which
> isn't prototyped in a header file is almost certainly not part of the API,
> and shouldn't be global.
>
> I want "nm -g mod_foobar.o" to yield a single global -- the module
> structure.  (proxy excepted.)

Sounds good to me. I think this is a good idea; if we run into problems,
we can unstaticify (is that word?) the function, and add it to a header
file.

+1

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>

Re: after you finish shooting me...

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Well if we do it now then we get to hear module authors scream about 5
> betas from now when they start trying 1.3.  In or around when one of the
> other Great Schemes gets done is an ok time too... but there's no way I'm

That's what I am thinking.  I'm not yet convinced (although perhaps
everyone else is) that things like source reorganization, great style
rewrite, etc. are a good thing to do in the 1.x tree.

Re: after you finish shooting me...

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Well if we do it now then we get to hear module authors scream about 5
betas from now when they start trying 1.3.  In or around when one of the
other Great Schemes gets done is an ok time too... but there's no way I'm
generating a patch for this, it'll be huge and there's no way I want to do
it twice.  I want permission beforehand to stick static in front of
hundreds of functions.

Dean

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.