Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Scott A <Sc...@anglolimited.com> on 2007/04/13 21:30:52 UTC

Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Hey All,

can you help me determine the correct role? A regular supplier/vendor that
sells us merchandise that we then sell on to a retail client would be
considered a supplier or a vendor and is there any good reason why they are
both there?

I'm a little confused between these two roles. Thanks in advance.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Guido,

Well, thanks for YOUR info below. :) Saves me the digging.

I figure out stuff like that by diving into the source codes. But unless someone asks a specific
question, like "if billing address and shipping address not specified, will main address be
used?", I can't dive into the source codes to find answers for every question in the universe.

So, yes, some documentation would help my clients see that OFBiz isn't as half-baked as it looks.

Jonathon

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Scott A <Sc...@anglolimited.com>.
A simple glossary would be great.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Guido Amarilla <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Scott A <Sc...@anglolimited.com>.
Here is what we got while importing our vendors;

Role Bill-From Vendor [BILL_FROM_VENDOR]
Role Supplier [SUPPLIER]

We are probably going to come up with the same issue for customer. Is it
customer or consumer? We deal directly with the consumer but sometimes,
other stores.

Lastly, is there a need for all of these default roles or are they included
to show how powerful ofbiz is?

Thanks for all the info. Its much appreciated.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
I had the same question when I first installed OFBiz. The answer I got back from
the mailing list was as I described.

Somone said at that time that a vendor is used in a shopping mall scenario -
where an OFBiz installation is "sub-let" to vendors, who sell goods to customers.

Maybe the vendor role has changed its meaning since then.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
That would be a supplier.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Scott A <Sc...@anglolimited.com>.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Roles: Vendor or Supplier?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
not sure if this helps, but if you go into catalog
and do a jump you will see supplier.

Scott A sent the following on 4/13/2007 11:30 AM: