Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kenneth Jacker <kh...@be.cs.appstate.edu> on 2006/06/11 20:34:10 UTC

Confusion on Directories

[ subversion-1.2.0-1ubuntu1 ]

I "imported" a directory with files and sub-directories into a new
repository (some days ago).  I then "checked out" four sub-directories
and their contents, did some "stuff" over the last few days, and today
again 'cd'ed to the corresponding working directory.

Take a look at the output of some Subversion commands:

     $ svn -v status
     ?                                       Lab01
     ?                                       Lab02
     ?                                       Lab03
     ?                                       Lab00
       ... ... ...

     $ svn -v list
           1 khj                 May 31 13:34 Lab00/
           1 khj                 May 31 13:34 Lab01/
           1 khj                 May 31 13:34 Lab02/
           6 khj                 Jun 08 17:21 Lab03/
       ... ... ...

     $ svn update
     svn: Failed to add directory 'Lab00': object of the same name already exists

Questions:

  o According to the SVN Book, the 'status' sub-command indicates that
     a `?' in column one corresponds to an "Item not under version
     control".  The output of 'status' above contains `?'s, yet 'list'
     shows that, in fact, the four directories *are* under VC.  I
     don't understand.

  o Why does 'status' show "Lab00" at the *end*, but 'list' at the beginning?

  o Why am I getting the "error message" from 'update'?  Why is it
     trying to re-add directory 'Lab00'?

Confused, but determined to make the change from RCS/CVS to Subversion!

Thanks for your comments ...
--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker       khj@cs.appstate.edu
Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

Re: Confusion on Directories

Posted by Kenneth Jacker <kh...@be.cs.appstate.edu>.
  djh> It sounds like you may have checked them each out
  djh> independently, so that their parent directory is not under
  djh> source control?

I think you are right here.  I populated the entire repository (with
many Lab?? directories) via 'import', and then "checked out" Lab00,
Lab01, etc.

  djh> If so, then this is normal -- the parent is not really a
  djh> 'working copy' as defined by Subversion since it is not under
  djh> source control.

The parent being Lab00, Lab01, etc. ?

My "idea" was to have only a few of the Lab?? directories in the
working directory.  What is a better way to do this?

  djh> If you 'cd' into each subdirectory and do a status what do you get?

     $ cd Lab00
     $ svn -v status
                     1        1 khj          .
                     1        1 khj          lab0a.html
                     1        1 khj          lab0b.html
                     1        1 khj          lab0c.html
                     1        1 khj          lab0d.html
                     1        1 khj          lab0e.html
                     1        1 khj          postlab.html
                     1        1 khj          index.html
     $ cd ../Lab01
     $ svn -v status
                     1        1 khj          .
                     1        1 khj          lab1a.html
                     1        1 khj          lab1b.html
                     1        1 khj          lab1c.html
                     1        1 khj          lab1d.html
                     1        1 khj          postlab.html
                     1        1 khj          prelab.html
                     1        1 khj          index.html
        ... ... ...

Thanks for working with me on this!

  -Kenneth

Re: Confusion on Directories

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 6/12/06, Kenneth Jacker <kh...@be.cs.appstate.edu> wrote:
>  >> o According to the SVN Book, the 'status' sub-command indicates that
>  >> a `?' in column one corresponds to an "Item not under version
>  >> control".  The output of 'status' above contains `?'s, yet 'list'
>  >> shows that, in fact, the four directories *are* under VC.  I
>  >> don't understand.
>  >>
>  >> o Why does 'status' show "Lab00" at the *end*, but 'list' at the
>  >> beginning?
>  >>
>  >> o Why am I getting the "error message" from 'update'?  Why is it
>  >> trying to re-add directory 'Lab00'?
>
>  rs> The answer to your first and third questions is that you deleted the
>  rs> directories Lab00, Lab01, Lab02 and Lab03 that you checked out, then
>  rs> created new directories by those names.
>
> Maybe, but I don't think so ...
>
>  rs> Or, you deleted the .svn directories inside those directories.
>
> Each of the four lab directories *have* .svn directories:
>
>     $ ls -ld Lab??/.svn
>     drwxr-xr-x  7 khj cs 4096 Jun 11 15:55 Lab00/.svn/
>     drwxr-xr-x  7 khj cs 4096 May 31 13:37 Lab01/.svn/
>     drwxr-xr-x  7 khj cs 4096 May 31 13:37 Lab02/.svn/
>     drwxr-xr-x  7 khj cs 4096 Jun 11 15:55 Lab03/.svn/
>
> Is there any other info that would help me to figure this out?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
>  -Kenneth

It sounds like you may have checked them each out independently, so
that their parent directory is not under source control?  If so, then
this is normal -- the parent is not really a 'working copy' as defined
by Subversion since it is not under source control.  If you 'cd' into
each subdirectory and do a status what do you get?

DJ

Re: Confusion on Directories

Posted by Kenneth Jacker <kh...@be.cs.appstate.edu>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 11, 2006, at 22:34, Kenneth Jacker wrote:

>      $ svn -v status
>      ?                                       Lab01
>      ?                                       Lab02
>      ?                                       Lab03
>      ?                                       Lab00
>        ... ... ...
>
>      $ svn -v list
>            1 khj                 May 31 13:34 Lab00/
>            1 khj                 May 31 13:34 Lab01/
>            1 khj                 May 31 13:34 Lab02/
>            6 khj                 Jun 08 17:21 Lab03/
>        ... ... ...
>
>      $ svn update
>      svn: Failed to add directory 'Lab00': object of the same name
> already exists
>

> Questions:
>
>   o According to the SVN Book, the 'status' sub-command indicates that
>      a `?' in column one corresponds to an "Item not under version
>      control".  The output of 'status' above contains `?'s, yet 'list'
>      shows that, in fact, the four directories *are* under VC.  I
>      don't understand.
>
>   o Why does 'status' show "Lab00" at the *end*, but 'list' at the
> beginning?
>
>   o Why am I getting the "error message" from 'update'?  Why is it
>      trying to re-add directory 'Lab00'?

The answer to your first and third questions is that you deleted the
directories Lab00, Lab01, Lab02 and Lab03 that you checked out, then
created new directories by those names. Or, you deleted the .svn
directories inside those directories. Or, you used a tool which did
that. Either way, the .svn directory and its contents are essential
to Subversion working copies and are not meant to be touched; if you
do touch them (specifically, if you remove them) then you will get
the behavior you're seeing: Subversion sees four directories which
aren't under version control (because they don't contain .svn
directories) and they happen to have the same names as four
directories which should be under version control but are absent. svn
update tries to re-add the absent directories, but of course can't
because they're already there.

You don't need to be concerned about the differing sort order.
Subversion sorts things by no readily-apparent criteria, and as you
see even different svn commands sort things differently.