Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/10/05 20:30:00 UTC

Re: general/3141: Using Navigator Microsoft Access database retrieved as text only throug apache. -

The following reply was made to PR general/3141; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
To: Richard Olsen <Ol...@pobox.tcs-inc.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/3141: Using Navigator Microsoft Access database
 retrieved as text only throug apache. -
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:15:15 -0700 (PDT)

 On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Richard Olsen wrote:

 >  I have changed the mime.conf, but still don't understand why it allows
 > Explorer to get it as a Database but not navigator.

 Because MSIE is broken and does not comply with HTTP standards.  It
 tries to guess what it should do with content; while sometimes it
 can be right on misconfigured servers, it is very often wrong and
 just messes everything up.