Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/02 03:58:06 UTC

Why do we have a CoreAdminHandler#Load action?

Is there a reason why we have a switch condition to LOAD in code? Can we
remove otherwise.

Varun Thacker
http://www.vthacker.in/

Re: Why do we have a CoreAdminHandler#Load action?

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com>.
I created SOLR-6814 for this.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Erick for clarifying that.

So we have two options -

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hmmm, this looks odd, indeed. Perhaps it was an incomplete attempt to
> fix up the fact that after you UNLOAD a core, it's not obvious that
> CREATE (or maybe RELOAD?) would get the core back.
>
> But it doesn't seem to do anything so even if someone uses it, nothing
> happens which is A Bad Thing. Removing it would cause anyone using it
> now to have an error they didn't have before, but I'm hard-pressed to
> believe that that's really worse than failing silently as it does at
> present.

1. Deprecate LOAD for Solr 4.10.3 and remove it on trunk and branch_5x

> Counter-prorposal: Leave it in and have it call CREATE with minimal
> parameters and add LOAD to the docs.

2.  Essentially not pass down the core.properties keys etc.

> That said, I'm not able to do the actual work right now so whatever you
> decide.
>
> Erick
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Varun Thacker
> <va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there a reason why we have a switch condition to LOAD in code? Can we
> > remove otherwise.
> >
> > --
> >

> > Regards,
> > Varun Thacker
> > http://www.vthacker.in/

I think we should deprecate it and remove in 5.x . It's not even documented
here https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/CoreAdmin+API or the
wiki

If anybody doesn't have an strong opinion against it I will create an Jira
for it tomorrow

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.