Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jonathan Asbell <ja...@i-2000.com> on 2001/07/25 13:53:38 UTC

Feature enhancement - triggering an Action

This thread appeared on the list earlier this week.

QUESTION - Jonathan
Can someone tell me if there is a way to configure an action to match a path
regardless of how deep it is in a directory?

ANSWER - Ted
No. There is not a way to do this, without changing the way Struts is
programmed to behave. You could request a feature change in Bugzilla, and
bring it up on the DEV list for discussion.

As I was experimenting with our struts app I ran into the situation where I
wanted a generic "path-indifferent" name to trigger an action.  For
instance, in the following three cases:
"/charts/display.do"
"/news/display.do
"/events/outdoors/display.do"

I didnt care about anything except the existence of  "display.do" ANYWHERE
at the end of ANY path.  In fact, isnt this exactly how the servlet is
triggered with ".do"  This is what I expected, and the current Struts design
wont let me do this.  Do you all think this is an important feature?  I
really would like it as it can give a sense that the behaviour is common,
and saves me time in thinking about how to properly trigger that particular
action I was wanting.