Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2005/02/22 00:41:14 UTC

[Fwd: [SECURITY ISSUE] Using allowLinking with deprecated HTTP 1.1 connector]

Hi,

Having just dealt with the issue below I was thinking where else, other
than the Tomcat User mailing list this information needed to be sent?
That got me thinking about the wider issue of handling security issues
at Jakarta/Apache. I went looking for, but failed to find, answers to
the following questions:

1. Does anyone monitor the issues reported to security@apache.org to
ensure that they are evaluated and, if necessary addressed, in a timely
manner? If yes, who? If not, should we?

2. Do we publish anywhere a list of known security issues and their
associated fixes? If yes, where? If not, should we?

Does anyone here know the answers to these questions?

Mark

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
I have no idea where the original thread happened, at least I didn't
see any mails before this one.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:

> i wonder whether henri might be able to bring this up (either
> formally or informally) with aim of discovering whether jakarta in
> general and tomcat in particular have the right structures in place
> and what improvements we might make.

The structures are pretty well defined.  Each project is supposed to
have at least one security liaison that the security committee knows
about.  Incoming security issues are supposed to go through this
liaison, but recent mails to the PMC list suggest it doesn't happen
that way.

>>> Having just dealt with the issue below I was thinking where else,
>>> other than the Tomcat User mailing list this information needed to
>>> be sent?

announce@jakarta and announce@apache.org, IMHO.  This along with a new
Tomcat release that fixes the issue.

>From my experience fix => release => announce is the process used by
other projects, including httpd.  And from an end-user standpoint the
process that makes sense the most.

>>> 2. Do we publish anywhere a list of known security issues and
>>> their associated fixes? If yes, where? If not, should we?

I think we should follow the httpd way
<http://httpd.apache.org/security_report.html> is linked from the main
navigation.  If you look into one of the pages linked from there, it
goes to apacheweek for some reasin, but we should be able to produce
the same sort of content ourselves.

>> Not that I know. I'd assume it'd be a Tomcat page somewhere?

+1

Stefan

Re: [Fwd: [SECURITY ISSUE] Using allowLinking with deprecated HTTP 1.1 connector]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
it may well be wiser to discuss these matters on lists which are not
public.

brian's usually very well informed about such matters. i wonder whether
henri might be able to bring this up (either formally or informally)
with aim of discovering whether jakarta in general and tomcat in
particular have the right structures in place and what improvements we
might make.

- robert

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.