Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Skolnick <cl...@organic.com> on 1995/06/26 19:04:05 UTC

Re: (fwd) Re: Solaris 2.4 http server hangs on accept() during high load

I've forwarded the following to a few friends in sunsoft internet
engineering.  They should be contacting some of you guys soon.

Cliff

On Mon, 26 Jun 1995 11:16:02 -0000, Andrew Wilson <an...@www.elsevier.co.uk> w
     ***rote:

}
} I dunno if anyone's seen this from c.i.w.s.u.  Any comments.
}
} Ay.
}
}      Andrew Wilson	     URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
} Elsevier Science, Oxford   Office: +44 01865 843155    Mobile: +44 0589 61614
  4
}
} ----- Begin Included Message -----
}
} >From a.rixon@elsevier.co.uk Fri Jun 23 13:23:03 1995
} Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 13:25:44 +0100
} From: Ade Rixon <aj...@cadair.elsevier.co.uk>
} To: andrew@www.elsevier.co.uk
} Subject: (fwd) Re: Solaris 2.4 http server hangs on accept() during high load
} Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.unix.solaris
} >From: payne@OpenMarket.com (Andrew Payne)
} >Date: 20 Jun 1995 15:08:11 -0400
}
} In article <3s...@news.xs4all.nl> erwin@dds.nl (Erwin Bolwidt) writes:
}
} >>>We're running the Apache 0.6.2 http server on a dual sparc Sparcserver
} >>>1000. The server is getting 150,000 - 160,000 hits a day and the number
} >>>is still growing.
} >
} >>I ran into a similar problem with Apache 0.6.2 & Solaris 2.4 on a Sparc 20.
} >>Any large number of connects (~8K in 15 seconds) will cause terrible proble
  ms
} >>throughout the TCP networking code.  The problem also happened with NCSA
} >>httpd 1.3, 1.4, and Netscape's Commerce Server.
} >
} >>Unfortunately, I cant seem to convince Sun that there is a problem with the
  ir
} >>OS, so as far as I know there is no official bug.
}
} This is a long shot diagnosis, because I don't know the internal
} architectures for the various servers, but Solaris does not support
} multi-process accept() calls on the same file descriptor.
}
} If the server does the following:
}
}     bind()
}     fork()
}     accept()		/* in each listener process */
}
} you can {panic,crash,hang} the Solaris kernel under very heavy load.  We
} ran into this problem when we were stress-testing our own WebServer.
}
} The official workaround from Sun is to serialize the calls to accept().
}
} --
} Andrew Payne                          http://www.openmarket.com/personal/payn
} Open Market, Inc.
}
} --
}  | Ade Rixon, Elsevier Science Ltd     |    http://www.dcs.aber.ac.uk/~ajr/

}
} 		"Gentlemen!! Let's broaden our minds!"
} 							- The Joker
}
}
} ----- End Included Message -----