Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Thanh Doan <tc...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/20 01:32:15 UTC

Can we provide "context dependent" faceted navigation from SOLR search results

Assuming a solr search returns 10 listing items as below

1) 4 digital cameras
2) 4 LCD televisions
3) 2 clothing items

If we navigate to /electronics                  we want solr  to show
us facets specific to 8 electronics items (e.g brand, price).
If we navigate to /electronics/cameras    we want solr  to show us
facets specific to 4 camera items (e.g mega-pixels, screens-size,
brand, price).
If we navigate to /electronics/televisions  we want to see different
facets and their counts specific to TV  items.
If we navigate to /clothing                       we want to obtain
totally different facets and their counts.

I am not sure if we can think of this as Hierarchical Facet Navigation
system or not.
>From the UI perspective , we can think of /electronics/cameras as
Hierarchical classification.

But how about electronics/cameras/canon vs electronics/canon/camera.
In this case both navigation should show the same result set no matter
which facet is selected first.

My question is with the current solr implementation can we  provide
"context dependent" faceted navigation from SOLR search results?

Thank you.
Thanh Doan

Re: Can we provide "context dependent" faceted navigation from SOLR search results

Posted by Thanh Doan <tc...@gmail.com>.
After posting this question I found this discussion
http://www.nabble.com/Hierarchical-Facets--to7135353.html.

So what I did was adapting the scheme with 3 fields; cat,
subcat,subsubcat and hardcoded the hierarchical  logic in the UI layer
to present hierarchical taxonomy for the users.

The users still see somewhat similar to this page
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Digital-Cameras/Canon,/brand,/813/cat.html

But I have to say that hardcoding the hierarchical logic in UI layer is messy.

It looks like Koji patch will be a much better solution.

Thanks Koji!

Thanh

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Matt Mitchell <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, this looks great. Thanks for this Koji!
>
> Matt
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp> wrote:
>
>> Thanh Doan wrote:
>>
>>> Assuming a solr search returns 10 listing items as below
>>>
>>> 1) 4 digital cameras
>>> 2) 4 LCD televisions
>>> 3) 2 clothing items
>>>
>>> If we navigate to /electronics                  we want solr  to show
>>> us facets specific to 8 electronics items (e.g brand, price).
>>> If we navigate to /electronics/cameras    we want solr  to show us
>>> facets specific to 4 camera items (e.g mega-pixels, screens-size,
>>> brand, price).
>>> If we navigate to /electronics/televisions  we want to see different
>>> facets and their counts specific to TV  items.
>>> If we navigate to /clothing                       we want to obtain
>>> totally different facets and their counts.
>>>
>>> I am not sure if we can think of this as Hierarchical Facet Navigation
>>> system or not.
>>> Hierarchical classification.
>>>

>> There is a patch for Hierarchical Facet Navigation:

>>  But how about electronics/cameras/canon vs electronics/canon/camera.
>>> In this case both navigation should show the same result set no matter
>>> which facet is selected first.
>>>

>> The patch supports a document to have multiple hierarchical facet fields.
>> for example:
>>
>> <add>
>>  <doc>
>>   <field name="name">Canon Brand-new Digital Camera</field>
>>   <field name="cat">electronics/cameras/canon</field>
>>   <field name="cat">electronics/canon/cameras</field>
>>  </doc>
>> </add>
>>

>> Koji
>>
>>  My question is with the current solr implementation can we  provide
>>> "context dependent" faceted navigation from SOLR search results?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>> Thanh Doan

Thanh Doan
713-884-0576
http://datamatter.blogspot.com/

Re: Can we provide "context dependent" faceted navigation from SOLR search results

Posted by Matt Mitchell <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.