Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Ivo Zivkov <iz...@sympatico.ca> on 2002/01/02 04:32:57 UTC

Missing Step in Build web app?

I have a question about deploying the application.

I am using the latest Turbine TDK with Tomcat 4.0.1 on Linux. After
successfully building the sample ‘newapp’ in the turbine TDK, tomcat
reposted “Not fond error 404’ to the URL:
http://localhost:8080/newapp/servlet/newapp
<http://localhost:8080/newapp/servlet/newapp> , even though I have correctly
set CATALINA_HOME variable. I can verify that TOMCAT is running properly,
because id displays its information when browser pointed to
http://localhost:8080 <http://localhost:8080/> . The only way I could get it
to work is by making a link from the TDK directory:

$SOME_TDK_HOME/webapps/newapp

to the tomcat directory:

$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/newapp

I could then access the application using the URL
http://localhost:8080/newapp/servlet/newapp
<http://localhost:8080/newapp/servlet/newapp> .

Was this step not supposed to be made automatically by the build process? Is
there anything special to be done to  make tomcat find the application. I
could not find anything that links the TDK application to the tomcat
directory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ivo Zivkov
izivkov@yahoo.com

Re: Missing Step in Build web app?

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
From: "Ivo Zivkov" <iz...@sympatico.ca>
> When tomcat is started with "(TDK)/bin/catalina.sh start" it requires that
> $CATALINA_HOME be set. If no external tomcat is supported, what should
this
> be set to?

It should be set to whatever "(TDK)" is above.

Cheers,

Scott

Re: Missing Step in Build web app?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 1/2/02 1:15 AM, "Ivo Zivkov" <iz...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> When tomcat is started with "(TDK)/bin/catalina.sh start" it requires that
> $CATALINA_HOME be set. If no external tomcat is supported, what should this
> be set to?

If you don't set the value of CATALINA_HOME than the catalina.sh script will
figure out the correct value. You don't have to set it.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

RE: Missing Step in Build web app?

> I have a question about deploying the application.
>
> I am using the latest Turbine TDK with Tomcat 4.0.1 on Linux. After
> successfully building the sample 'newapp' in the turbine TDK, tomcat
> reposted "Not fond error 404' to the URL:
> http://localhost:8080/newapp/servlet/newapp
> <http://localhost:8080/newapp/servlet/newapp> , even though I have
correctly
> set CATALINA_HOME variable. I can verify that TOMCAT is running properly,
> because id displays its information when browser pointed to
> http://localhost:8080 <http://localhost:8080/> . The only way I could get
it
> to work is by making a link from the TDK directory:

The TDK comes with a version of tomcat, it doesn't currently support having
an external version of tomcat installed. Setting CATALINA_HOME doesn't work
because the sample app is generated into the directory structure of tomcat
that comes with the TDK.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.