Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/11/30 07:27:15 UTC

[jdktools] update

1) I have a simple but working version of a 'launcher launcher' now in
jdktools, called 'samsa'.

It's designed to live in jdk/bin under different names (javac, javap,
java...) and simply do the Right Thing to invoke the jre/bin java with
the right classpath and tool class specified.

Right now, we have 'javac' for linux :) and I'll test more tomorrow, and
port to Windows tomorrow.

2) I'll test (launcher) and finish (jpda) the native builds under
windows tomorrow.

This should give us enough for our first JDK snapshot, which I hope to
do this weekend.

geir

Re: [jdktools] update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> 1) I have a simple but working version of a 'launcher launcher' now in
>> jdktools, called 'samsa'.
>
> Cool -- its been on my to-do list long enough that it was probably not
> going to reach the top <g>
>
>> It's designed to live in jdk/bin under different names (javac, javap,
>> java...) and simply do the Right Thing to invoke the jre/bin java with
>> the right classpath and tool class specified.
>
> Yep.  I see a bunch of hard-coded jars listed in there, which is fine
> for now, but we may want to move to the service provider model that we
> discussed ages ago, so we can drop in new implementations.

Yep

>> Right now, we have 'javac' for linux :) and I'll test more tomorrow, and
>> port to Windows tomorrow.
>>
>> 2) I'll test (launcher) and finish (jpda) the native builds under
>> windows tomorrow.
>>
>> This should give us enough for our first JDK snapshot, which I hope to
>> do this weekend.
>
> Great.  Remember the list of comments I had for the previous snapshot?
> If not I can point to them.

I remember :)

geir

Re: [jdktools] update

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [jdktools] update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> 1) I have a simple but working version of a 'launcher launcher' now in
>> jdktools, called 'samsa'.
>>
>> It's designed to live in jdk/bin under different names (javac, javap,
>> java...) and simply do the Right Thing to invoke the jre/bin java with
>> the right classpath and tool class specified.
>>
>> Right now, we have 'javac' for linux :) and I'll test more tomorrow, and
>> port to Windows tomorrow.
>>
>> 2) I'll test (launcher) and finish (jpda) the native builds under
>> windows tomorrow.
>>
>> This should give us enough for our first JDK snapshot, which I hope to
>> do this weekend.
>
> yay!!
>
> is this picked up automatically in the build or not? in short: how do I
> run it :-)

Not yet - that should be done in the next day or two.

geir

Re: [jdktools] update

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.