Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sujith Mathew <su...@myrealbox.com> on 2002/08/01 21:25:36 UTC

Please help me... URGENT

Please help me .....

My requirements are to serve JSP, Servlets, static pages and SSL(not
important). NO CGI, PERL, PHP etc.

I am using a WINDOWS 2000 Server.*I want anyone to tell me whether i
should use APACHE+TOMCAT+SSL or TOMCAT+SSL.

Please reply me fast , i am banking on you guys for a good answer.

Thanks in advance
Sujith Mathew

Re: Please help me... URGENT

Posted by Rick Fincher <rn...@tbird.com>.
Hi,

If you need to get it up and running fast, just use Tomcat with SSL.  You
can always add Apache later if you think it will boost performance.  Setting
up an Apache+SSL+Tomcat server can be tricky if you are a newbie (and even
if you aren't).

A lot of this depends on what you are running and how heavy the demands on
the server will be.

If you have a lot of static pages (and maybe even if you don't) Apache with
SSL and Tomcat may be faster.  In that setup you use Apache to do the SSL,
which is theoretically faster because it is a binary on the server.  In
reality the extra overhead of the transfer from Apache to Tomcat of dynamic
pages may nullify any speed advantages.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Please help me... URGENT

Posted by Michael B Sebetich <mb...@andrew.cmu.edu>.
Hi There,

I would go with Tomcat+SSL, the setup is much easier than your other
alternative.  The only thing you really lose by not using apache is the
ability to use virtual hosts.

Mike