Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Fitzpatrick <li...@webtent.net> on 2007/06/19 19:19:12 UTC

Update directory

>>From the beginning I have used /usr/local/share/spamassassin for the .cf
files as this is how the ports system sets up SA on our FreeBSD system.
Sometime ago, someone posted a response to an issue I had at the time
with rules firing that I should be using the
default /var/db/spamassassin/<version> and I was breaking SA if doing
sa-update. After not specifying updatedir for sa-update, it started
placing rules in the default directory, but my debug no longer
shows /usr/local/share as a source for config files, only the default
dir. But, all my stock cf files are in /usr/local/sare/spamassassin, no
mention in debug. At the time, re-setup SA to get debug to look at the
files again and put the updatedir option back in my sa-update script.
Now it has happened again as I'm converting to sa-update from RDJ and
forgot to put my updatedir option. Debug has no mention of anything
in /usr/local/share/spamassassin, where my core cf files are located.

Can someone tell me for sure which way this needs to be and how to get
sa-update to look at /usr/local/share/spamassassin again if that is what
I need to do?

--
Robert

Re: Update directory

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 18:03 +0000, Duane Hill wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>> Can someone tell me for sure which way this needs to be and how to get
>>> sa-update to look at /usr/local/share/spamassassin again if that is what
>>> I need to do?
>>
>> I'm using FreeBSD here and as of SA 3.2.0,
>> /var/db/spamassassin/the_version is where rules should show up after
>> sa-update is ran without the --updatedir parameter. Prior, it placed the
>> rules in /var/lib/spamassassin/the_version.
>>

> Thanks, yes, actually, the first time it happened, it was /var/lib now
> that you mention it.
>
>> /usr/local/share/spamassassin has the potential for getting overwritten on
>> future updates. Therefore it would be advisable not to make changes
>> within.
>
> So, I should move my core rules to /var/db/spamassassin/the_version
> after setting up SA from the ports system? The issue is debug does not
> seem to find my core rules under /usr/share, there is no mention of them
> in the debug output.

You shouldn't have to move anything.

The rules in /usr/local/share/spamassassin are not read in if rules exist
in /var/db/spamassassin/the_version.

Re: Update directory

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>So, I should move my core rules to /var/db/spamassassin/the_version
>after setting up SA from the ports system? The issue is debug does not
>seem to find my core rules under /usr/share, there is no mention of them
>in the debug output.
>
>--
>Robert

No. Once sa-update has updated /var/db/spamassassin/the_version,
spamassassin SA no longer uses the rules sets in /usr/share. The new rule
sets replace them. You get a complete new set of rules.

Gary V

It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07

RE: Update directory

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 18:03 +0000, Duane Hill wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > > Can someone tell me for sure which way this needs to be
> and how to get
> > > sa-update to look at /usr/local/share/spamassassin again
> if that is what
> > > I need to do?
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD here and as of SA 3.2.0,
> > /var/db/spamassassin/the_version is where rules should show
> up after
> > sa-update is ran without the --updatedir parameter. Prior,
> it placed the
> > rules in /var/lib/spamassassin/the_version.
> >

> Thanks, yes, actually, the first time it happened, it was /var/lib now
> that you mention it.
>
> > /usr/local/share/spamassassin has the potential for getting
> overwritten on
> > future updates. Therefore it would be advisable not to make changes
> > within.
>
> So, I should move my core rules to /var/db/spamassassin/the_version
> after setting up SA from the ports system? The issue is debug does not
> seem to find my core rules under /usr/share, there is no
> mention of them in the debug output.

Depends on what you mean by core rules. Assuming the ones that came with
SpamAssassin, you don't do anything with those. SA just picks them up
automatically from the update directory. If you're talking about rules
you added, then those should be in /etc/mail/spamassassin.

Bret

Re: Update directory

Posted by Robert Fitzpatrick <li...@webtent.net>.

Re: Update directory