Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Hardy Ferentschik <ha...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/29 10:03:54 UTC

NoClassDefFoundError for SnowballPorterFilterFactory in HibernateSearch

Hi there,

I am working on the Hibernate Search project. We just released a new
version of Hibernate Search (3.1.0.Beta1) which optionally can be used
with an additional jar file containing the org.apache.solr.analysis
related classes. The idea is to leverage from Solr's extensive analyzer
framework. See
http://blog.hibernate.org/Bloggers/HibernateSearch310Beta1BetterFaster.

Currently we create a custom jar file apache-solr-analyzer-1.2.0.jar using
an ant build script
(http://repository.jboss.org/maven2/org/hibernate/apache/lucene/solr/apache-solr-analyzer/1.2.0/solrshrinker-build.xml)
which extracts the relevant classes.

It works fine for most filters and analyzers, however causes a
NoClassDefFoundError when SnowballPorterFilterFactory is used at runtme.
The problem is that this factory contains the following logging line:

SolrCore.log.fine("SnowballPorterFilterFactory: language=" + language);

This line will of course cause SolrCore to be loaded and SolCore in itself
depdends on a whole range of other classes which are not included in
apache-solr-analyzer-1.2.0.jar.

The issue is summarized here:
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HSEARCH-232

I know that you guys are getting ready for a 1.3 release and was wondering
if you could maybe address this problem prior the release. We would really
appreciate it. Maybe you could switch the log statement using the java
logging framework (as you do in other classes) or maybe even remove the
trace alltogether.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Hardy

Re: NoClassDefFoundError for SnowballPorterFilterFactory in HibernateSearch

Posted by Hardy Ferentschik <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:52:50 +0200, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
<sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Committed revision 680648.

Great. Thanks a lot :)

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Committed revision 680648.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
shalinmangar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think that log call is of any use. It just logs the value of a
> config parameter. We shall remove this completely.
>

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Hardy Ferentschik <
> hardy.ferentschik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am working on the Hibernate Search project. We just released a new
>> version of Hibernate Search (3.1.0.Beta1) which optionally can be used with
>> an additional jar file containing the org.apache.solr.analysis related
>> classes. The idea is to leverage from Solr's extensive analyzer framework.
>> See
>> http://blog.hibernate.org/Bloggers/HibernateSearch310Beta1BetterFaster.
>>
>> Currently we create a custom jar file apache-solr-analyzer-1.2.0.jar using
>> an ant build script (
>> http://repository.jboss.org/maven2/org/hibernate/apache/lucene/solr/apache-solr-analyzer/1.2.0/solrshrinker-build.xml)
>> which extracts the relevant classes.
>>
>> It works fine for most filters and analyzers, however causes a
>> NoClassDefFoundError when SnowballPorterFilterFactory is used at runtme. The
>> problem is that this factory contains the following logging line:
>>
>> SolrCore.log.fine("SnowballPorterFilterFactory: language=" + language);
>>
>> This line will of course cause SolrCore to be loaded and SolCore in itself
>> depdends on a whole range of other classes which are not included in
>> apache-solr-analyzer-1.2.0.jar.
>>
>> The issue is summarized here:
>> http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HSEARCH-232
>>
>> I know that you guys are getting ready for a 1.3 release and was wondering
>> if you could maybe address this problem prior the release. We would really
>> appreciate it. Maybe you could switch the log statement using the java
>> logging framework (as you do in other classes) or maybe even remove the
>> trace alltogether.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hardy
>>

> --
> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: NoClassDefFoundError for SnowballPorterFilterFactory in HibernateSearch

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
I don't think that log call is of any use. It just logs the value of a
config parameter. We shall remove this completely.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Hardy Ferentschik <
hardy.ferentschik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am working on the Hibernate Search project. We just released a new
> version of Hibernate Search (3.1.0.Beta1) which optionally can be used with
> an additional jar file containing the org.apache.solr.analysis related
> classes. The idea is to leverage from Solr's extensive analyzer framework.
> See http://blog.hibernate.org/Bloggers/HibernateSearch310Beta1BetterFaster
> .
>
> Currently we create a custom jar file apache-solr-analyzer-1.2.0.jar using
> an ant build script (
> http://repository.jboss.org/maven2/org/hibernate/apache/lucene/solr/apache-solr-analyzer/1.2.0/solrshrinker-build.xml)
> which extracts the relevant classes.
>
> It works fine for most filters and analyzers, however causes a
> NoClassDefFoundError when SnowballPorterFilterFactory is used at runtme. The
> problem is that this factory contains the following logging line:
>
> SolrCore.log.fine("SnowballPorterFilterFactory: language=" + language);
>
> This line will of course cause SolrCore to be loaded and SolCore in itself
> depdends on a whole range of other classes which are not included in
> apache-solr-analyzer-1.2.0.jar.
>
> The issue is summarized here:
> http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HSEARCH-232
>
> I know that you guys are getting ready for a 1.3 release and was wondering
> if you could maybe address this problem prior the release. We would really
> appreciate it. Maybe you could switch the log statement using the java
> logging framework (as you do in other classes) or maybe even remove the
> trace alltogether.
>
> Please let me know what you think.
>
> Cheers,
> Hardy