Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Sabine Winkler <sw...@sabinewinkler.com> on 2010/11/25 22:23:12 UTC

"old-valueholders" --> TimePeriod

hi,

may I ask what are the plans for the classes located in
"old-valueholders"? I was looking for TimePeriod implementation that is
only located in this folder. after all i implemented a simple one for my
test environment using two fields of  class
"org.apache.isis.applib.value.Time" - following the class documentation
there are open issues for that. Is someone working at this class at the
moment?

thx,
sabine

Re: "old-valueholders" --> TimePeriod

Posted by Alexander Krasnukhin <th...@gmail.com>.
+1 to JodaTime, its better use it than develop our own

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/11/2010 13:43, Sabine Winkler wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> my "TimePeriod" implementation is just for an example application. totally
>> agree with you not to reinvent the wheel. I will have a look at the class
>> "org.apache.isis.applib.value.Time" (seems to be unfinished)
>>
> Rob?
>

>  and work on an TimePeriod implementation.
>>
> But do look at either JodaTime or Eric Evan's timeandmoney library.  I
> think either of those give you a TimePeriod; all that is needed is an
> implementation of ValueSemanticsProvider.
>

>> some further questions:
>> - how can I contribute new/refactored implementations?
>>
> Because you haven't yet been voted in as a committer, the thing to do is to
> raise a ticket on JIRA, and attach a patch (doing so requires that you check
> a checkbox granting relevant rights to ASF).
>

>  should I contact the owner of the package first?
>>

> I'm not sure if it's "good form" to take of owners of packages, because
> ultimately Isis is owned by its community.  But certainly if you mail here
> we can indicate who would likely be reviewing any patches to decide whether
> to apply them.  For the applib, it's probably gonna be either Rob or myself.
>

>  - should implementation details and questions discussed on this list?
>>
> Oh yes, definitely!  "If it didn't happen on the list, then it didn't
> happen".
>

>> cheers,
>> Sabine
>>

> Cheers
> Dan
>

>> Am 25.11.2010 23:50, schrieb Dan Haywood:
>>
>>> Hi Sabine,
>>> I think that Rob archived these off a long time ago, and they've never
>>> been reinstated.  I'm not sure that there are any concrete plans to do work
>>> on them right now (perhaps we should delete this directory.. it still exists
>>> in contrib/initial/nakedobjects?)
>>>
>>> At any rate, my view on this is that, rather than reinvent the wheel, we
>>> should provide value support for a nicely designed class such as JodaTime.
>>>  This can be done by implementing the ValueSemanticsProvider interface ... I
>>> think there's coverage of it in my book.  It's not that hard to do, and
>>> would be a nice enhancement.
>>>
>>> Dan

Alexander

Re: "old-valueholders" --> TimePeriod

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sabine Winkler <sw...@sabinewinkler.com>.
Hi Dan,

my "TimePeriod" implementation is just for an example application.
totally agree with you not to reinvent the wheel. I will have a look at
the class "org.apache.isis.applib.value.Time" (seems to be unfinished)
and work on an TimePeriod implementation.

some further questions:
- how can I contribute new/refactored implementations? should I contact

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sabine,