Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Wolfgang Jeltsch <je...@Informatik.TU-Cottbus.DE> on 2007/04/02 17:01:21 UTC

HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR

Hello,

what does HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR mean?  Why is it rated that high?

The reason behind my question is that most of my e-mails seem to get
HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR assigned to them.  In the From: field, I typically use an
address which belongs to a domain registered by me and pointing to my own
server while I’m sending my mails via my DSL provider’s SMTP server.  Since
my provider seems to do sender rewriting, I’d say that the domain of the
address in the From: field shouldn’t be an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

Re: HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Montag, 2. April 2007 17:09 schrieb Scott Lockwood:
>
>> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 17:01 +0200, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
>>
>>> I’m sending my mails via my DSL provider’s SMTP server.
>>>
>> Which puts in the headers that it came from a node in it's network,
>> which makes the machine the mail originated from, you guessed it, one
>> that has a dynamic IP address.
>>
>> Your best bet would be to setup SMTP auth on your own server.
>>

> I don’t quite understand this.  If the mail originated from a node in the
> provider’s network than this node isn’t necessarily a host with a dynamic IP
> address.  Well, in my case it is but what’s the problem with this?  Am I not
> allowed to send an e-mail from my computer at home (which will always have a
> dynamic IP address)?

Sounds like you've got a broken trust path then.

This test should stop with the machine that delivered mail to your
network, it should not apply further out.

Of course, if SA's guesses about your network boundaries are wrong, it
will obviously get the wrong result. This is typical if your mailserver
is NATed.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustPath

Re: HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR

Posted by Wolfgang Jeltsch <je...@Informatik.TU-Cottbus.DE>.
Am Montag, 2. April 2007 17:09 schrieb Scott Lockwood:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 17:01 +0200, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> > I’m sending my mails via my DSL provider’s SMTP server.
>
> Which puts in the headers that it came from a node in it's network,
> which makes the machine the mail originated from, you guessed it, one
> that has a dynamic IP address.
>
> Your best bet would be to setup SMTP auth on your own server.

I don’t quite understand this.  If the mail originated from a node in the
provider’s network than this node isn’t necessarily a host with a dynamic IP
address.  Well, in my case it is but what’s the problem with this?  Am I not
allowed to send an e-mail from my computer at home (which will always have a
dynamic IP address)?  If I setup SMTP auth on my own server, the mail still
originates from my computer at home.  It’s the same situation as sending the
mail via my DSL provider’s SMTP server.

Meanwhile I realized that not every mail I send the way I described suffers
from the HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR problem but the mail I attached to my other
message to this list does.  Can anyone figure out what the problem with
exactly this mail is?  Alas, I cannot, at the moment.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

Re: HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR

Posted by Scott Lockwood <sc...@cashnetusa.com>.

--
W. Scott Lockwood III
Systems Administrator

Re: HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR

Posted by Wolfgang Jeltsch <je...@Informatik.TU-Cottbus.DE>.
Am Montag, 2. April 2007 17:01 schrieb Wolfgang Jeltsch:
> Hello,
>
> what does HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR mean?  Why is it rated that high?
>
> The reason behind my question is that most of my e-mails seem to get
> HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR assigned to them.

Okay, maybe not most of them.  I have attached a concrete message where this
problem occurs.  Maybe that helps.

Thanks for help.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang