Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/03/30 21:00:51 UTC

incorporating jon's lenya articles into the site?

the article series at http://redarrow.textdrive.com/ by Jon Linczak has
attracted quite a lot of interest on the web. i like his writing style,
and i think it would complement our site nicely, maybe under a new
section tutorials.

since forrest can use html as input, it should be minimal effort for jon
to make them ready for our site.

wdyt?

Re: incorporating jon's lenya articles into the site?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> why not just linking to it?
>
> It would of course be nice to involve Jon more into the project itself.

because good documentation needs to be all in one place. and yes,
involving him more is also good

Re: incorporating jon's lenya articles into the site?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> I agree that it would be probably easier to directly import it. ;-)

jon,

to prepare the articles for inclusion, create a directory with html 4
files plus images and attach to a bugzilla entry.

we will then attach it to a suitable node in the site (maybe docs ->
tutorials or something)

for an example of how to mark up your articles, see

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/incubation/Process_Description.html?rev=123064&view=markup

i am not sure if forrest only takes html 4 as input, or xhtml too.

-gregor

Re: incorporating jon's lenya articles into the site?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 10:53 -0500, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> > That is a real nice article and we really can use it on our site for the
> > reason you mentioned and Gregor as well.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > If you want to get more involved into lenya maybe you can create howtos
> > of the content of the articles. Like
> > http://forrest.apache.org/howto/howto-pdf-tab.html.
>
> isn't forrest moving away from these one-off formats to xhtml?

Yeah, but that will come earliest with 0.8.

> > If you can use the forrest-faq dtd and create a patch we will add it to
> > the site. Have a look at
> > http://lenya.apache.org/community/website-update.html.
>
> i think it would be a lot easier to just use html.

Hmm, IMO will cost the same amount of accuracy to create the same
result.

I agree that it would be probably easier to directly import it. ;-)

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: incorporating jon's lenya articles into the site?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 16:19 -0500, Jonathan Linczak wrote:

> I think the only reason not to link to it would be that I'd like to add
> more to my site than just Lenya articles, and I would hate to have
> people coming to site and getting confused on where the articles lie.
> I could create a link just to show the archive of Lenya articles, but
> as Gregor said, perhaps it might be better to keep the documentation
> together in one place.
>
> Thanks, by the way, for linking to my site and articles in the first
> place and allowing me to be involved.  I'm not a genius in programming,
> but I'll do anything I can to help out the project.
>
> Jon

That is a real nice article and we really can use it on our site for the
reason you mentioned and Gregor as well.

+1

If you want to get more involved into lenya maybe you can create howtos
of the content of the articles. Like
http://forrest.apache.org/howto/howto-pdf-tab.html.

If you can use the forrest-faq dtd and create a patch we will add it to
the site. Have a look at
http://lenya.apache.org/community/website-update.html.

Thanks a lot!

Posted by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> the article series at http://redarrow.textdrive.com/ by Jon Linczak
> has attracted quite a lot of interest on the web. i like his writing
> style, and i think it would complement our site nicely, maybe under a
> new section tutorials.
>
> since forrest can use html as input, it should be minimal effort for
> jon to make them ready for our site.
>
> wdyt?

why not just linking to it?

It would of course be nice to involve Jon more into the project itself.

Michi

Michael Wechner

Re: incorporating jon's lenya articles into the site?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> the article series at http://redarrow.textdrive.com/ by Jon Linczak has
> attracted quite a lot of interest on the web. i like his writing style,
> and i think it would complement our site nicely, maybe under a new
> section tutorials.
>
> since forrest can use html as input, it should be minimal effort for jon
> to make them ready for our site.
>
> wdyt?

+1

-- Andreas