Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2001/08/07 11:04:18 UTC

[Xerces2] STATUS, ISSUES, and TODO

I've updated the STATUS, ISSUES, and TODO documents in the
xml-xerces module on the xerces_j_2 branch to reflect the
current state of affairs. For convenience, I've inlined the
contents in this message. Please let me know if anyone has
additional issues or want to start looking at some of the
todo items.

STATUS

This is the Status file for the Xerces for Java code base.
This file provides an overview of the things that need to
be done. However, specific action items are enumerated in
the TODO file.

There are lots of things that need to be done:

* Performance, performance, performance!
* Conformance, conformance, conformance!
* Kill bugs

* W3C XML Schema support
* Grammar caching
* Grammar access
* Re-validation
* Pull parsing

* Documentation
* Samples
* Scripts to build parser subconfigurations
* Additional configuration options

* Anything else?

ISSUES

*** UNRESOLVED ***

1. Naming
 1.1. XNI package names and content. Drop the XNI prefix?

2. Dependencies
 2.2. Java version

3. APIs
 3.2. Parser configuration
  3.2.1. Filters
 3.3. Buffer management
  3.3.1. To transcode or not to transcode

4. Layering and Packaging
 4.1. Core vs. optional modules (dependencies?)
 4.2. How to deal with community donations

5. Website and Documentation
 5.1. Continue to use Stylebook? plain HTML?

*** DEFERRED ***

*** RESOLVED ***

2. Dependencies
 2.1. APIs: DOM, SAX, etc.
      Resolution: SAX dependence removed from XNI
3. APIs
 3.1. DTD handlers
  3.1.1. Separate or combined?
         Resolution: Separate.
  3.1.2. Which methods are needed?
         Resolution: Modification to content model callbacks
                     so that start/endEntity is more useful.
 3.2. Parser configuration
  3.2.2. Scanners
         Resolution: Source and scanner interfaces added.

TODO

*** CURRENT ***

1. Documentation
 1.2. Xerces Native Interface (XNI)
  1.2.3. Using Xerces2 Components

2. Schema Validation
 2.1. Port of Xerces 1.x Schema code [andyc,???]
      * starting point: "valport_x1" tag
      * ported code:    "valport_x2" branch
  2.1.1. Remove old classes
  2.1.2. Add classes, changing packaging
  2.1.3. Remove StringPool dependencies
  2.1.4. Move from internal interfaces to XNI

3. Validation Engine
 3.1. Separate "universal" validator into separate components:
      DTD validator, namespace binder, and Schema validator
  3.1.1. Separate source code, changing packages as needed
  3.1.2. Update parser configuration

*** COMPLETED ***

1. Documentation
 1.1. Samples
 1.2. Xerces Native Interface (XNI)
  1.2.1. XNI overview
  1.2.2. Parser components and configurations
 1.3. Remove/add FAQ items