Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by virendra Manvar <vi...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/01 16:56:56 UTC

DMS server hangs when start up - continueous doing Full GC

Hi,

We have repository with around 300GB and 16 million docs.

Jackrabbit DMS server is deployed on solaris sparc OS with 64 bits. We are
using wrapper to start DMS server.

When we start up server, it is doing Full GC after 5 minutes and then it
gets hung.

Also we are using *BundleDbPersistenceManager* for storing bundle in DB
which has more than 12 million records.

We have analyzed memory dump with Eclipse Memory Analyzer and it displays
that below class is using high memory.

*
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.CachingIndexReader.initializeParents
*

Please help to resolve this issue.

* *

Regards,

Viren

Re: DMS server hangs when start up - continueous doing Full GC

Posted by virenmanvar <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply.
We have change the memory setting to 2048 MB but that did not work. Please
find attached
Configuration/Setting that we have done in application.
I have attached repository.xml for reference and we are using wrapper to
start DMS server. I have attached copy of wrapper.conf file for reference.
wrapper_test.conf
<http://jackrabbit.510166.n4.nabble.com/file/n4657761/wrapper_test.conf>
repositorynew_test.xml
<http://jackrabbit.510166.n4.nabble.com/file/n4657761/repositorynew_test.xml>
We are running this Solaris Sparc 64 bit machine with 8 GB RAM.
All the configuration/settings which are need for DMS that we have specify
wrapper.conf file.
>From the DMS log we found that when we tried to connect with DMS from
application, JVM starts Full GC and after some time the JVM got hung.
Thanks

Re: DMS server hangs when start up - continueous doing Full GC

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
You should post a bit about your configuration.

You also know, I hope, that caches are supposed to use a lot of memory.
That is their job.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: DMS server hangs when start up - continueous doing Full GC

Posted by ms...@email.cz.
Generally this GC behaviour happens when there is not enough memory on heap,
it is not possible to expand heap and also
GC is not able to release any memory. Then GC might run looong without
success seemingly hanging JVM. So first try is to
increase max heap for JVM -Xmx2048m, set actual value according to your
current setting ie. increase it.

--
Marek Slama
mslama@email.cz