Posted to community@apache.org by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/13 18:21:58 UTC

Re: community Digest 13 Oct 2004 08:44:42 -0000 Issue 305

---- Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote ----
> Question; Should Open Source be Open Participation?
>
> I am sure that the upper-tier of ASF would shiver at the thought that
> hordes
> of people can gain direct access to the repositories. They/we will
> dust of
> the same arguments of why Wiki won't work.

Well, just two points:

-- Everyone does have access to our code repositories.  It's just
read-only for non-committers.  :->

-- Everyone has the ability to take our code and do with it what they
will (modulo the LICENSE).  So if anyone wants to create their own Open
Participation group, feel free to start with our code and run with it
using your own participation policies.  But as both a corporation and a
community, we've already decided on the basic guidelines for how we run
projects and do development.

Oh, and I'm a wiki-lover myself, but understand that I'll never get
most of the wiki-haters to come participate there, which is OK.  But I
wouldn't want to write code that way.

And where the heck did the stuff about the military come in?  That's a
bit over the top.

=====
- Shane

<eof .sig="http://apachecon.com/ November in Vegas, baby!" />