Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Niklas Therning <ni...@therning.org> on 2011/09/05 10:27:28 UTC

[classlib] Active?

Hi,

I'm working on an ahead of time compiler for JVM bytecode. Most of the
runtime library is based on classlib from 6.0M3. As the activity around
Apache Harmony seems to have gone down quite a lot lately I would like
to be sure that the project is still active? What's the relation with
Android? Do they contribute code back to Harmony?

Regards,
Niklas Therning

Re: [classlib] Active?

Posted by Ashish Ranjan <as...@gmail.com>.
as jvm and runtime library of java is open source and GPL licensed, you may
take your project further by using the standard openjdk source code.

Ashish Ranjan
ashishwave@gmail.com

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Niklas Therning <ni...@therning.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on an ahead of time compiler for JVM bytecode. Most of the
> runtime library is based on classlib from 6.0M3. As the activity around
> Apache Harmony seems to have gone down quite a lot lately I would like to be
> sure that the project is still active? What's the relation with Android? Do
> they contribute code back to Harmony?
>
> Regards,
> Niklas Therning

"Happiness is not something you find, It's something you create."

Re: [classlib] Active?

Posted by johann Sorel <so...@inbox.com>.
Hello,

I had a similar concern last year when starting a project for a paradygm model.
At this time I was hesitating between Apache Harmony and Parrot VM...
and choose parrot to experiment something different from the java world.
With all the events around java, and the fact there is only openjdk left, I definetly
believe I made the right choice.

Perhaps like me you could explore other solutions, there are plenty of other vm, just to name a
few ones, CLR, ParrotVM, NekoVM, LuaVM  ...

Since you mention Android and the DalvikVM, lets hope Google will cut relations with java
and build a pseudo-java. even so if google does not free the entire code source of dalvik then
it won't be any better, in the best case story will repeat itself.

The nekoVM and LuaVM might be the safest choices considering the license, one is LGPL the other MIT, ... I haven't found any VM under Public Domain unfortunatly :( .

Johann

Re: [classlib] Active?

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
I don't think the project is really active. Niklas, thank you for your
interest.
05.09.2011 12:28 пользователь "Niklas Therning" <ni...@therning.org>