Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Brian Lawler <bl...@branuity.com> on 2002/02/06 19:17:53 UTC

Re: Need CVS help (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-turbine-3/src/java/org/apache/turbine/security/turbine BasePolicy.java BasePrincipal.java Password.java PolicyImpl.java SubjectImpl.java TurbineAuthenticator.java TurbineAuthorizer.java TurbineCredentials.java TurbinePermission.java TurbineSecurityManager.java TurbineSubject.java)

Hello-

FYI, CVS does give you a way to "resurrect" files that have been removed from the tree:

The following is taken directly from http://www.durak.org/cvswebsites/doc/cvs_62.php#IDX141 which is an excellent resource for all things CVS...

=================================

Specifying two `-j' options can also undo file removals or additions.  For
example, suppose you have a file named `file1' which existed as revision
1.1, and you then removed it (thus adding a dead revision 1.2).  Now
suppose you want to add it again, with the same contents it had
previously.  Here is how to do it:

$ cvs update -j 1.2 -j 1.1 file1
U file1
$ cvs commit -m test
Checking in file1;
/tmp/cvs-sanity/cvsroot/first-dir/file1,v  <--  file1
new revision: 1.3;
previous revision: 1.2
done
$

=================================

HTH.

-B

On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 23:12:34 -0700
Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, John.
>

> On Tuesday, February 5, 2002, at 06:52  PM, John McNally wrote:
>
> >> How do I put these files back in when the old ones are in the attic?
> >
> > You should be able to add them as if they were new.
> >
> > cvs add *.java
>
> That was the first thing I tried.  Got an error like this:
>
> cvs add: foo.java already exists, with version number 1.3
>

> I've done some experimenting on a local cvs repo and figured
> out the problem.  Jason removed the files which incremented
> the versions for all the files in the repository.  So my
> local files do not reflect the new version numbers.  Hence
> the error message above.
>

> Here's the solution.
>
> 1.  backup the java files
>      'find . -name "*java" -print | xargs tar cf ../backup.tar'
>
> 2.  'cvs update'
>      This has the side effect of removing the *java files
>      which is why step 1 is important.  It also gets the
>      version numbers for my local files in sync with the
>      repository.
>
> 3.  restore the backups
>      'tar xf ../backup.tar'
>
> 4.  'cvs add *java'
>      This works now because the version numbers are in sync.
>
> 5.  'cvs commit'
>
> I'll have to wait until morning when I can get back to the
> computer that has my fixes.
>
> -Eric

brian lawler
branuity