Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Matt Reason <ma...@movielink.com> on 2003/04/07 21:28:12 UTC

[solution] Need help using exec to do "ls -rt1 | tail -1"

Thanks to everyone for all the input.  I had no idea the pipe was
interpreted by the shell.

With that in mind, I got it to work.  Here is how to do it:

<target name="getNewest">
        <exec dir="${sourcedir}" executable="sh"
outputproperty="theNewestFile">
                <arg line="-c &quot;ls -rt1 | tail -1&quot;"/>
        </exec>
        <echo message="The newest file in ${sourcedir} is:
${theNewestFile}"/>
</target>

NOTE: You have to put the actual command in quotes (&quot).

Matt