Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/13 13:14:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] - Adjust Apache Camel product descriptions

Hi

I noticed the README.txt file in the distribution kit starts as follows:
Apache Camel is a powerful Spring based Integration Framework.

And our website starts as follows:
Apache Camel is a powerful open source integration framework based on
known Enterprise Integration Patterns with powerful Bean Integration.

I think we should align the product descriptions on the web site and
the README.txt file.
There may be other places the product description is present, and
could use a bit upgrade.

For example I think the README.txt file is a bit outdated as it gives
the impression that Camel requires Spring and is Spring based.
As we all know Camel is more than that and we try to be neutral and
let people use and run Camel in any kind of environment.
Whether its Spring, OSGi, Karaf, ServiceMix, WebSphere, Cloud, Scala,
Standalone etc.

So anyone got suggestions/feedback to have the product description
updated a bit to reflect where we are today with Apache Camel?

For example we may want to mention Apache Karaf on the front page as a
product that Camel runs with out of the box. etc.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUSS] - Adjust Apache Camel product descriptions

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I have polished the readme.txt file in the source code to be similar
to the text on the public Apache Camel website
http://camel.apache.org/

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Camel is not linked only to Spring.

Regards
JB

On 08/13/2011 01:14 PM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I noticed the README.txt file in the distribution kit starts as follows:
> Apache Camel is a powerful Spring based Integration Framework.
>
> And our website starts as follows:
> Apache Camel is a powerful open source integration framework based on
> known Enterprise Integration Patterns with powerful Bean Integration.
>

> I think we should align the product descriptions on the web site and
> the README.txt file.
> There may be other places the product description is present, and
> could use a bit upgrade.
>

> For example I think the README.txt file is a bit outdated as it gives
> the impression that Camel requires Spring and is Spring based.
> As we all know Camel is more than that and we try to be neutral and
> let people use and run Camel in any kind of environment.
> Whether its Spring, OSGi, Karaf, ServiceMix, WebSphere, Cloud, Scala,
> Standalone etc.
>

> So anyone got suggestions/feedback to have the product description
> updated a bit to reflect where we are today with Apache Camel?
>
> For example we may want to mention Apache Karaf on the front page as a
> product that Camel runs with out of the box. etc.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] - Adjust Apache Camel product descriptions

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Apache Camel is a powerful open source integration framework based on
> known Enterprise Integration Patterns with powerful Bean Integration.
> It has been designed to be easily integrated with Java standards like
> J2EE or Spring and can be deployed in several runtime platforms :
> Apache Tomcat, J2EE Servers, OSGI (Apache Felix, Apache Karaf), ESB
> (Apache ServiceMix), Cloud (FuseSource Fabric) or can be run in
> standalone."

+1, though perhaps without one of the "powerful"s.

Don

Re: [DISCUSS] - Adjust Apache Camel product descriptions

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The situation is more complex than that. The following sentence has
been written like that "Apache Camel is a powerful Spring based
Integration Framework." to focus the attention of the user that Camel
uses Spring for one of its DSL language and can be easily integrated
into Spring based projects. Removing completely every reference to
Spring is a bit dangerous as it will give the impression to end users
that we don't use it anymore. So I propose the following text -->

"Apache Camel is a powerful open source integration framework based on
known Enterprise Integration Patterns with powerful Bean Integration.
It has been designed to be easily integrated with Java standards like
J2EE or Spring and can be deployed in several runtime platforms :
Apache Tomcat, J2EE Servers, OSGI (Apache Felix, Apache Karaf), ESB
(Apache ServiceMix), Cloud (FuseSource Fabric) or can be run in
standalone."

Regards,

Charles Moulliard

Apache Committer

Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
Skype: cmoulliard

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
We could even say "we are not spring based, as we are focused on providing an integration
library that will co-exist in pretty much any container, deployment environment as well.

/je

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 2011-8-13, at 下午7:14, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I noticed the README.txt file in the distribution kit starts as
> follows:
> Apache Camel is a powerful Spring based Integration Framework.
>
> And our website starts as follows:
> Apache Camel is a powerful open source integration framework based on
> known Enterprise Integration Patterns with powerful Bean Integration.
>

> I think we should align the product descriptions on the web site and
> the README.txt file.
> There may be other places the product description is present, and
> could use a bit upgrade.
>

> For example I think the README.txt file is a bit outdated as it gives
> the impression that Camel requires Spring and is Spring based.
> As we all know Camel is more than that and we try to be neutral and
> let people use and run Camel in any kind of environment.
> Whether its Spring, OSGi, Karaf, ServiceMix, WebSphere, Cloud, Scala,
> Standalone etc.
>

> So anyone got suggestions/feedback to have the product description
> updated a bit to reflect where we are today with Apache Camel?
>
> For example we may want to mention Apache Karaf on the front page as a
> product that Camel runs with out of the box. etc.
+1 for adjusting Camel Product descriptions.

And I think we should mention Camel runs with Apache Servicemix out of
the box instead of Apache karaf, as Apache Servicemix ships camel
features.xml by default and fine-tune the jre export package and
boot.delegation(such as jaxb and jaxws) which ensure camel components
run.

Freeman

> --
> Claus Ibsen