Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2007/01/05 02:21:24 UTC

Mylar and Jira

Finally after a quick look at Mik Kersten bio I did not resist to see what is exactly Mylar. Wooow... I have just been thru the 1st 30min of the 1st demo here http://www.eclipse.org/mylar/start.php and I think it's worth the try.
I have noticed that it needs Java 1.5 to run (thru Eclipse of course) and that at the time the video was done (oct 2006) "context storage" was not yet supported for JIRA but you were able to do that indirectly trough attachments. Or even sent these contexts over emails. But that does not mean that you can't use Jira if I follow what is explained at the bottom of the link above :
Web only: Reports linked via drag-and-drop, editing via embedded browser, (any web-based repository)
Query support: Repository queries in task list view (currently Bugzilla, Trac, and JIRA and web connector templates)
Full integration: Authoring of reports within native Eclipse editor, offline editing, incoming/outgoing status, compare and change notifications. (Bugzilla, JIRA and Trac)

Anyway, take a look at the video and you will make your own idea.

Strange, just when I wanted to know more about IntelliJ it seems that Eclipse plugins begin to be really something !

Jacques

Re: Mylar and Jira

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
For those interested with relation between Mylar and XPlanner I found this link by chance
http://jlebleu.free.fr/youpla/index.php?2006/12/11/7-xplanner-et-mylar

Jacques

Re: Mylar and Jira

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>
[...snip...]

>To swith from a task to another simply activate the task. It took me some time to understanding
> it's not the default action when you double-click on task but opening the task itself wich seems less intersting IMHO. I did not
> find a way yet to specify the default action, but that's extremely minor.

OK found on http://www.eclipse.org/mylar/doc/new.php

Editing and open changes
[...snip...]

If the Preferences -> Mylar -> Task List -> Activate on double-click is enabled along with single click in the workbench, single
click can be used to open tasks, and double-click to activate them.

Really cool stuff :o)

Jacques

Re: Mylar and Jira

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I tried Mylar today without any problem at all (apart to learn using UI ;o).
I highly recommend to everybody working with many tasks in Eclipse to try Mylar to !
Jira-Mylar integration is not yet perfect but context focusing alone is already a very interesting concept of practical use IMHO.

The basic concept of context is that Mylar is automatically associating a set of open files (with position in files, outline, etc.)
with the current task activated. To swith from a task to another simply activate the task. It took me some time to understanding
it's not the default action when you double-click on task but opening the task itself wich seems less intersting IMHO. I did not
find a way yet to specify the default action, but that's extremely minor.

I relied before on opening many tabs/editor but was trapped by the fact that when I was closing a project I losed (some time not
any, weird) some editors (opened files).
And in case of Eclipse bad bug (every 2 months or such) I was losing all my working configuration :'(

I really feel that Mylar is opening a new vision when working with Eclipse. With Jira complete integration (that too should not
delay I hope) it shoud be a must to use, at least for commiters.

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Re: Mylar and Jira

Re: Mylar and Jira