Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com> on 2021/03/17 16:23:47 UTC

update - Google Summer of Code 2021

All
Just an update on where the project is with GSoC

We've had a number of suggestions on this mailing list and also some people submitting ideas as Github issues:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Agsoc2021

Thank you everybody who has submitted a project and said you'd act as a mentor

Below, I've collated all of the proposed  ideas (abbreviated project names)

Harikrishna "mapping existing configuration parameters to the APIs"
Suresh "Cloning a Virtual Machine (with all the data disks)"
Boris "improvements in the UI around user experience. navigate around just using keyboards"
David  "allowing the user to set multiple SSH keys"
Alireza  "writing a Container Storage Interface (CSI) for Kubernetes"
Daan: suggested a number of projects but unfortunately isn't able to mentor this year.
Rohit "onboard users with existing XenServer/VMware/* environments with VMs to CloudStack/KVM."
Pearl "extending the behaviour of Persistent Networks in CloudStack."
Wei "Spice console"
Nicolas initially put forward "marvin test service"  but has since contacted me to say  that he'd prefer to put forward on of Daans projects: "authentication plugins for public authentication providers like google/microsoft/facebook/etc"

I think these all look like interesting projects

@ Alireza   - as far as I can see from discussions on list, your initial idea didn't seem to develop into a proposal. Do you still wish to pursue it ?

============WHAT PROPOSERS NOW NEED TO DO==================

We have two primary things to do to make these available as Apache GSoC projects:

  1.  We need to get them listed on COMDEV here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/GSoC+2021+Ideas+list#GSoC2021Ideaslist-CloudStack

This is the page that students will visit if they choose to browse  Apache as a partner (Thanks to Rohit for getting the initial CloudStack listing here)

Note: we will be competing with other projects for the students attention, so need to ensure that the listings are "attractive"

My thinking is that the descriptions need to be more "student focussed" - i.e they cannot assume any CloudStack knowledge and they should explain the type of tech/skills involved
Could I therefore ask everybody to reply to this thread with a more structured project description:

- project Title

-brief description including what problem this solves & what are its benefits
-technologies involved (i.e. Java, VueJS)
-who would this suit ? (i.e. this would suit somebody with a passion for UI design)

I will then take those descriptions and add them to our listing on COMDEV

They should then get an invite from the GSoC people. Being on this list allows you to be officially recognised as a mentor but also to help deal with any student enquiries about your projects

Kind regards
Giles

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com