Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org> on 2018/03/06 00:03:16 UTC

[EVENT] HDFS Bug Bash: March 12

[Cross-posting, as this affects the rest of the project]

Hey folks-

As discussed last month [1], the HDFS build hasn't been healthy
recently. We're dedicating a bug bash to stabilize the build and
address some longstanding issues with our unit tests. We rely on our
CI infrastructure to keep the project releasable, and in its current
state, it's not protecting us from regressions. While we probably
won't achieve all our goals in this session, we can develop the
conditions for reestablishing a firm foundation.

If you're new to the project, please consider attending and
contributing. Committers often prioritize large or complicated
patches, and the issues that make the project livable don't get enough
attention. A bug bash is a great opportunity to pull reviewers'
collars, and fix the annoyances that slow us all down.

If you're a committer, please join us! While some of the proposed
repairs are rote, many unit tests rely on implementation details and
non-obvious invariants. We need domain experts to help untangle
complex dependencies and to prevent breakage of deliberate, but
counter-intuitive code.

We're collecting tasks in wiki [2] and will include a dial-in option
for folks who aren't local.

Meetup has started charging for creating new events, so we'll have to
find another way to get an approximate headcount and publish the
address. Please ping me if you have a preferred alternative. -C

[1]: https://s.apache.org/nEoQ
[2]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=75965105

Re: [EVENT] HDFS Bug Bash: March 12

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
If you want to join remotely, we have a bridge set up:

Skype: https://meet.lync.com/microsoft/cdoug/DM56LHTJ
Web app: https://meet.lync.com/microsoft/cdoug/DM56LHTJ?sl=1
Phone: +1 (425) 616-0754 Conference ID: 65908231
Find a local number:
https://dialin.lync.com/8551f4c1-bea3-441a-8738-69aa517a91c5?id=65908231

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you. -C

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
We're using a shared doc to track work in progress, PA/review ready,
and committed [1]. -C

[1]: https://s.apache.org/RLlx

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.

Posted by 俊平堵 <ju...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Vinod. -C

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Vinod. -C

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Vinod. -C

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Vinod. -C

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Was out of country and away from email for weeks.

We have been using this in the past: https://www.meetup.com/Hadoop-Contributors/ <https://www.meetup.com/Hadoop-Contributors/>. I believe this doesn't have the per-meetup-charge issue, but will double check. Let me know if there are more meetups planned in the near future and we can use this.

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 +1 Thanks for making this happens!
Tsz-Wo

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Hey folks-

Remember we're getting together on Monday to fix some "quality of
life" issues in the build. Please RSVP [1] so we can preprint badges,
that sort of thing. The meetup site only allows for 6 hour events, but
we have the room through 6:00PM PST and can keep the bridge/channel
open for other timezones that want to keep going.

We'll post remote access information when we get it. Please update the
wiki [2] as you think of issues we should address. -C

[1] https://meetingstar.io/event/fk13172f1d75KN

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Hey folks-

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.