Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by aaron J titus <aa...@lycos.com> on 2002/11/04 20:03:57 UTC

hit scoring on latest build

Hello Everyone,

I have just downloaded the newest of the nightly builds (10/27) from the apache.org site because I was looking for the specific feature of being able to control the default conjunction. I noticed that the hit scoring has changed drastically since the release build. I checked bugzilla and did not see anything reported. Has anyone experienced this and do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron

Re: hit scoring on latest build

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@lucene.com>.
If you check the CHANGES file for changes made since the 1.2 release,
you'll find:

    Added support for boosting the score of documents and fields via the
    new methods Document.setBoost(float) and Field.setBoost(float).

    Note: This changes the encoding of an indexed value.  Indexes should
    be re-created from scratch in order for search scores to be correct.
    With the new code and an old index, searches will yield very large
    scores for shorter fields, and very small scores for longer fields.
    Once the index is re-created, scores will be as before.

This will make it into the release notes for 1.3 when that release is made.

Doug