Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Brian Lee <bl...@macys.com> on 2005/02/04 20:21:29 UTC

Re: wck implementation

Thanks for the reply Alessandro - much appreciated

Alessandro Apostoli wrote:

> Brian Lee wrote:
>
>> Hey Alessandro,
>>
>> I really need help with a wck virtual file system implementation....
>> Can you tell me on a high level how your store is designed /
>> implemented?
>

> Mine actually is not a store it's more like a CMS that closely
> resembles the webdav specs.
> Content is organized in folders, each folder can hold either folders
> or documents, documents
> have revisions.
> Users get projected inside a particular folder, i.e. their home. Each
> user has a view of the cms
> based on his/her rights, that is folders can even be hidden from a
> users view. There are cases
> when a user might have multiple "homes", in that case I created a
> virtual root folder with its children
> being the many homes of that user.
>
>> What things concerning Slide I have to keep in mind when developing -
>> such as needing to return properties, ....
>

> This might be a problem, I only return the very essential properties
> like time and size. WCK is only one of the views
> of my system, so a deeper access to the properties is done via a
> proprietary web interface,
>

>> Anything you can tell me will really help - and ofcourse if you don't
>> mind I'll also update the wiki with whatever I learn
>>
>> Brian
>

> please try to be more precise so I can help you more.
>
> Alex.

Basically all I need Slide for in the short term is to act as a better /
easier to use ftp for our users. Ideally, all they will be doing is
accessing
and uploading files that they have access to - inside a virtual user
folder. Ideally, all users only have the view of what's inside their
virtual folder and nothing else.
Our system determines what files / resources they can see on the fly.
When users upload files, our systems stores those files in a
predetermined file hierarchy
that has nothing to do with the user 'folders'.

1)One problem I have is with the user's starting point - 'inside their
virtual folder'. Slide has a fixed root that it needs to create a lot of
configuration files
underneath (most of which I don't think I need or use). Consequently,
this fixed root also gives the user the same starting point. As of this
point, a workaround
I have is to filter out everything but the files folder, start the user
inside the files folder, and display / let the user's folder be
accessible there.

2)Another big problem I have is that my system stores files in a
specific manner according to the file's name and unique id. Slide needs
to create and use specific
config files (like actions) and it needs to create these files in
specific places. Currently I have two ways to deal with this:
a) The problem with this method is that I'm
not sure that I know all the config files that slide creates and uses,
and this feels more of a hack than solution
b) make no difference between normal files and slide config files (ex.
/Slide/config.file gets store in the system as /2/4/6/config.file) - I
don't think this will work because if Slide expects to find config.file
in /Slide instead of /2/4/6 - things will break.....

What should my approach be?

Thanks

Brian