Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ivan Van Laningham <iv...@callware.com> on 1999/08/31 22:50:22 UTC

os-windows/4939: Installing on top of 1.3.6 caused Apache 1.3.9 to fail to start as service

>Number:         4939
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Installing on top of 1.3.6 caused Apache 1.3.9 to fail to start as service
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I installed 1.3.9 on top of 1.3.6, which had been working
flawlessly since it was released.  I did stop 1.3.6; after installation, I
used the menu entry to try to install as service, and that failed silently.
Attempting to use the SCM to start Apache failed with Error 1067, "Application
terminated unexpectedly."  Using instsrv worked, but the SCM still wouldn't
start Apache.  Using menu entries to start it worked, but it *always* put up
a DOS box regardless of the method I chose, so it was always a console app.

In order to get it working, I had to completely uninstall 1.3.6, including the
removal of all the registry entries.  I had to manually remove the Apache
service from the SCM (the uninstall ought to do this for me).
I then re-installed 1.3.9, and used the
menu entry to register the service.  Again, this failed silently.  Using cmd
line instrv worked, but *failed* to install the Apache entry in the SCM!

"apache -i -n Apache" from the command line *did* make Apache show up as a
SCM entry, and starting from there works now.
>How-To-Repeat:
See "Full Description."
>Fix:
Well, the workaround is to tell people to uninstall previous installations
first; I don't know enough about InstallShield to be able to suggest a
fix.
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]