Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu> on 2004/11/16 20:20:52 UTC

Using keep alive to increase performance

I was looking for a way to increase performance, because it seems the
server is topped off at around 100 request per seconds.  Searching for
information about keep alive seem not be so easy.  But at the end, I get
it to work by doing this:

1) Download the commons-httpclient at apache.org
2) Add the httpclient's jar to class path
3) Create client-config.wsdd in the client's root directory, and its
content is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deployment name="commonsHTTPConfig"
xmlns="http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsdd/"
  <transport name="http"
pivot="java:org.apache.axis.transport.http.CommonsHTTPSender" />
  <transport name="local" pivot =
"java:org.apache.axis.transport.local.LocalSender" />
  <transport name="java"
pivot="java:org.apache.axis.transport.java.JavaSender" />
</deployment>

4) Run the client with this command line argument:

-Daxis.ClientConfigFile=client-config.wsdd

Step 4 does not seem to be needed (but was recommended) because without
it, it still seems to work.  (To disable this, I remove the library, and
also rename the file client-config.wsdd)

All good and well.  BUT:  to my surprised, the performance instead of
increased, it actually 100% slower in my test.  I use a sort of Tcp
Monitor to see the number of connections and indeed, it reduce the
number of connection down to 1, but somehow it's much slower than
multiple connections.

The test was using a single client, calling the server 1000 times
sequentially (one after another).

Does anyone have any idea about why this is so?