Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ga...@sungard.com on 2015/01/06 18:30:36 UTC

PDF search functionality using Solr

Hello Solr-users and developers,
Can you please suggest,

1.       What I should do to index PDF content information column wise?

2.       Do I need to extract the contents using one of the Analyzer, Tokenize and Filter combination and then add it to Index? How can test the results on command prompt? I do not know the selection of specific Analyzer, Tokenizer and Filter for this purpose

3.       How can I verify that the needed column info is extracted out of PDF and is indexed?

4.       So for example How to verify Ticket number is extracted in Ticket_number tag and is indexed?

5.       Is it ok to post 4 GB worth of PDF to be imported and indexed by Solr? I think I saw some posts complaining on how large size that can be posted ?

6.       What will enable Solr to search in any PDF out of many, with different words such as "Runtime" "Error" "XXXX" and result will provide the link to the PDF

My PDFs are nothing but Jira ticket system.
PDF has info on
Ticket Number:
Desc:
Client:
Submitter:
And so on:

1.       I imported PDF document in Solr and it does the necessary searching and I can test some of it using the browse client interface provided.

2.       I have 80 GB worth of PDFs.

3.       Total number of PDFs are about 200

4.       Many PDFs are of size 4 GB

5.       What do you suggest me to import such a large PDFs? What tools can you suggest to extract PDF contents first in some XML format and later Post that XML to be indexed by Solr.?

Your early response is much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: PDF search functionality using Solr

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Seconding Jürgen's comment. 4G docs are almost, but not quite totally
useless to search How many JIRA's each? That's _one_ document unless
you do some fancy dancing. Pulling the data directly using the JIRA
API sounds far superior.

If you _must_ use the JIRA->PDF->Solr option, consider the following:
Use Tika on the client to parse the doc and taking control of the
mapping of the meta-data
and, probably, breaking thins up into individual document, one Solr
document per JIRA.

That'll give you a chance to deal with charset issues and the like.
Here's an example:

https://lucidworks.com/blog/indexing-with-solrj/

That one has both Tika and database connectivity but should be pretty
straight-forward to adapt, just pull the database junk out.

Best,
Erick

Posted by "Jürgen Wagner (DVT)" <ju...@devoteam.com>.
Hello,