Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2020/01/17 03:35:55 UTC

Definition of Equity in ASF context

Since my question was left unanswered, I would like to bring it up again.

Since D&I now seems to get extended with "Equity", I would like to get
answered what is "Equity" in the scope of the ASF?

As I am reading up on the subject, it always comes back to a "GET" for a
group or an individual. The fence analogy is touted, so that everyone get
to see (mind you the problem with the paying vs non-paying viewers) is
about "get an opportunity to see", receiving something.

I have always viewed the ASF as a place to "GIVE". I have an opportunity to
"give contributions" to others, not a matter of what I "GET", which is
largely a function of how I amalgamize contributions of others to my own
life and career.

What am I missing? What is the "Outcome" for a person or a group of people,
that the "Equity" argument is trying to address, in the ASF context?

Thanks

Re: Definition of Equity in ASF context

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
That’s one of the things we’re studying in our surveys. Data should help
inform us of where there are anomalies and potential areas of improvement.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Definition of Equity in ASF context

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 3:01 PM Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The misspelling of your name is a persistent spelling correction that I
> sometimes catch and sometimes do not.
>
> I apologize for the error.

Apology accepted.

> Matt's summary is the best. This group has done a survey and is working to
> analyze it to determine where there are anomalies and propose possible
> solutions. It is premature to say that the current situation must already
> be fully understood and that goals must already be clear.

I think my question is misunderstood, possibly because of all of our
diverse backgrounds and point of views. I leave it at that.

Re: Definition of Equity in ASF context

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Niclas,

The misspelling of your name is a persistent spelling correction that I
sometimes catch and sometimes do not.

I apologize for the error.

You are correct that I omitted the IF (and highlighted the fact that I did).

The point remains that there are many interpretations to the original usage
of EDI and it is unwarranted to draw much significance to the E.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Nicolas,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 8:25 PM Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> Thanks for answering, appreciate it greatly.
>
> However, isn't the "ramp into ASF" more of an "equality in opportunity"
> than "equality of outcome", the latter being (IIUIC) is the definition of
> Equity?

This distinction between "equality in opportunity" and "equality in
outcome" is a common one to explain equity. It is helpful to avoid the
"rugged individualism" detour. But it is forcing reality to fit into words.
I don't think debating the difference in words is helpful, once you get
into specifics. One can often be easily turned into the other. For example,
imagine no ramps. Every human being has an equal opportunity to use the
sidewalks and roads that exist. But every human being does not have equal
opportunity to cross a road at an intersection.

I am far from expert in either the problems or solutions. I think this list
is probably best for identifying problems and working towards solutions.
For more general discussion of what it is all about, we have left
diversity@apache.org, yes? I am not trying to push you to the different
list, but just to be clear about their purposes and make sure to have the
right audience.

Kenn

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Thanks for answering, appreciate it greatly.

However, isn't the "ramp into ASF" more of an "equality in opportunity"
than "equality of outcome", the latter being (IIUIC) is the definition of
Equity?
And that we since day one haven't care about your background to contribute,
isn't the "opportunity" aspect already covered?

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Giving can bring with it a sense of satisfaction. That is what one
"gets" from many volunteer activities, including, at least for some
people, open source. That sense of satisfaction can be lost if
contributions are not accepted or not valued.