Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2005/03/11 00:01:35 UTC

Replacing treemenu

Dear All

It seems like we are using proprietary code for the treemenu within
1.2.X, whereas I haven't
had the time yet to really check if it is like it sounds.

But we should definitely react to this situation.

Since the treemenu has a performance problem anyway, but which has been
solved with
XMLHTTP within 1.4 (a homegrown solution, hopefully ;-), I think we
should backport
it. It shouldn't take that long to do this. Could probably be done by
tomorrow ;-)

WDYT?

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
josias@wyona.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking around to find a replacement for Lenya's javascript tree menu.
> On
> http://www.hotscripts.com/JavaScript/Scripts_and_Programs/Navigation/Trees/,
> there is a list of tree-menus. However, most of them don't have a very
> "free" license.

yeah, javascript and open source have never mixed well..

do those 2 have the necessary features?

> The following two seemed most "free" to me:
>
> 1. dTree:
> *********
> (http://www.destroydrop.com/javascripts/tree/)
>
> License:
> /*--------------------------------------------------|
> | dTree 2.05 | www.destroydrop.com/javascript/tree/ |
> |---------------------------------------------------|
> | Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Geir Landrö               |
> |                                                   |
> | This script can be used freely as long as all     |
> | copyright messages are intact.                    |
> |                                                   |
> | Updated: 17.04.2003                               |
> |--------------------------------------------------*/

license is fine

> 2. JSCookTree:
> **************
> (http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~heng/JSCookTree/index.html)
>
> License:
> /*
> 	JSCookTree v2.01.  (c) Copyright 2002 by Heng Yuan
>
> 	Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
> 	copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
> 	to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
> 	the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
> 	and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
> 	Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
>
> 	The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
> 	in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>
> 	THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
> 	OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
> 	ITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
> 	AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
> 	LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
> 	FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
> 	DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
> */

also fine. looks like a standard BSD license.

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Guido Wesdorp <gu...@infrae.com>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> ok, I guess we need to convince Guido (hello :-) to change it to BSD ;-)

Oops, didn't see this before I replied to the other mail...

Okay, here you have my permission to re-distribute the package, as well
as all the dependencies (minisax.js, minidom.js, davclient.js, davfs.js,
tree.js, davbrowser.js (this is actually the tree-based DAV browser),
filetypes.js and helpers.js (some of which are already BSD-licensed))
under a BSD-license. Since I'm the only developer of the libraries that
are GPL-licensed, this should theoretically be enough for you to start
using the source code.

Of course it doesn't look too nice to have GPL in the code and a note
somewhere that the code is re-distributed under a BSD-license with
permission of the author, and of course since you're distributing it as
BSD so everyone can get it as such the GPL license isn't very useful
anymore, so I'll update all the libs (as soon as my laptop is fixed) so
they have a BSD-style license before I'll release them (hopefully later
this month, if not beginning of april).

A small description of the libs required, the ones prefixed by * are
currently GPL licensed, so they're the you're allowed to distribute
under a BSD-style license:

- helpers.js - a set of helper functions and classes, partially copied
from Kupu, to ease 'cross-browser' (Moz and IE) development
- *minisax.js - a simple SAX library (non-standard, Manos Batsis is
working on a standards-compliant SAX 2 API, which I'll use instead as
soon as it's done).
- *minidom.js - a simple DOM library (non-standard too, and provides
only a small subset of the DOM api, but it's required to support IE,
since IE's DOM stuff doesn't have proper support for namespaces it's not
very useful when parsing multi-status responses)
- *davclient.js - a 'low-level' DAV API, provides a simple method for
all HTTP methods (not all currently, have to write OPTIONS, LOCK and
UNLOCK still)
- *davfs.js - a somewhat higher level DAV API, provides methods such as
'listDir', 'read' and 'write' and 'getProps' and 'setProps'.
- *tree.js - the tree library, quite generic
- *davbrowser.js - the tree-based DAV browser (includes some sample code)
- *filetypes.js - a set of file type descriptions, used to determine
mimetype of files according to extension, etc. (not too happy with this,
so it may well change in the future)

I hope you manage to find out how it all works, if you have questions or
remarks, please let me know. Also note that all this code isn't released
yet, and not tested well enough, so I'd certainly recommend to do some
testing, hopefully this allows me to bugfix properly before the first
release.
Also note that this so far has been a one-man effort, but if people want
to help development I'd greatly appreciate it (first I'd have to do some
cleanups, and make sure there's branches available to make sure the
stuff I'm working on that depends on the libs doesn't break, but I'd be
happy to do that).

By the way, I'd like to make clear is that this offer is only valid if
the Apache Lenya project developers decide to use it, if you decide not
to use the libs please let me know and I'll continue distribution under
the GPL only for now. In other words: as long as you don't distribute
the libs as BSD-licensed code, no one else is allowed to do so...

Cheers,

Guido

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Josias Thoeny wrote:

>It looks interesting. The code already is loading the children of a node
>dynamically, which is useful for us.
>
>About the license:
><cite>
>The code is currently GPL licensed, but if you're interested I wouldn't
>mind turning it into BSD.
></cite>

ok, I guess we need to convince Guido (hello :-) to change it to BSD ;-)

Michi

>Josias
>

>>>-- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Guido Wesdorp wrote:

> Josias Thoeny wrote:
>
>> About the license:
>> <cite>
>> The code is currently GPL licensed, but if you're interested I wouldn't
>> mind turning it into BSD.
>> </cite>
>>

> To be honest changing the license of the WebDAV libs to BSD style
> would hurt me the most... but it would actually make things easier for
> me too, since I can then use it in Kupu etc.

just think of the possibilities ;-)

> Anyway, the offer still stands.

what offer?

> As soon as my laptop (read: only proper workstation) is fixed I'll add
> the remaining bits to the WebDAV lib (OPTIONS, LOCK and UNLOCK), clean
> up the libs and do a 0.1 release of the whole bunch (together with
> some JS DAV client using it all, although that may take a bit longer).

would it make sense to you to host a code repository and mailing lists,
etc. like
for instance Kupu does?

Michi

> Cheers,
>
> Guido

Michael Wechner

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Guido Wesdorp <gu...@infrae.com>.
Josias Thoeny wrote:

>Since we don't need the WebDAV functionality (we just need plain
>"tree-view" functions, or am I missing something?), we could as well try
>to use one of the other tree scripts which already have a BSD-like
>license.

Oh, I assumed you wanted the whole lot, if not, let me know and I'll
change the license of the tree.js lib rightaway...

Cheers,

Guido

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Josias Thoeny wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 12:33 +0100, Guido Wesdorp wrote:
>

>>Josias Thoeny wrote:
>>

>>>About the license:
>>><cite>
>>>The code is currently GPL licensed, but if you're interested I wouldn't
>>>mind turning it into BSD.
>>></cite>
>>>

>>To be honest changing the license of the WebDAV libs to BSD style would
>>hurt me the most... but it would actually make things easier for me too,
>>since I can then use it in Kupu etc.
>>
>>Anyway, the offer still stands. As soon as my laptop (read: only proper
>>workstation) is fixed I'll add the remaining bits to the WebDAV lib
>>(OPTIONS, LOCK and UNLOCK), clean up the libs and do a 0.1 release of
>>the whole bunch (together with some JS DAV client using it all, although
>>that may take a bit longer).
>>

>Since we don't need the WebDAV functionality (we just need plain
>"tree-view" functions, or am I missing something?), we could as well try
>to use one of the other tree scripts which already have a BSD-like
>license.
>Any opinions?

I think we all know Guido very well from the Kupu project and I think
it would make most sense to re-use his code especially from an Open
Development
perspective.

Thanks

Michi

>Regards,
>Josias
>

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Guido

Michael Wechner

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Josias Thoeny <jo...@wyona.com>.

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Guido Wesdorp <gu...@infrae.com>.

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Josias Thoeny <jo...@wyona.com>.

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> josias@wyona.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was looking around to find a replacement for Lenya's javascript
>> tree menu.
>

> Have you noticed my post "WebDAV-based JS tree implementation"
> (2005-03-01)?
> Maybe it's worth a look.

yes, I think it's definitely worth taking a look at Guido's piece of
software.
Why didn't this come to my mind earlier ;-)

But I am not sure what license Guido is using. That would be the first
thing to check ;-)

Michi

> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by jo...@wyona.com.
[...]

WDYT? Can we use any of those?
(I admit I don't know much about licenses...)

- Josias

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Josias Thoeny <jo...@wyona.com>.

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> i don't know if that means that it is still relying on treemenu?

I guess Josias knows best, but is probably currently dreaming of a
license free world ;-)

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Replacing treemenu

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Dear All
>
> It seems like we are using proprietary code for the treemenu within
> 1.2.X, whereas I haven't
> had the time yet to really check if it is like it sounds.
>
> But we should definitely react to this situation.
>
> Since the treemenu has a performance problem anyway, but which has been
> solved with
> XMLHTTP within 1.4 (a homegrown solution, hopefully ;-), I think we
> should backport
> it. It shouldn't take that long to do this. Could probably be done by
> tomorrow ;-)

agreed on the back porting.

it currently seems to be a mix:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/lenya/trunk/src/webapp/lenya/resources/javascript/tree.js?rev=156423

(if you scroll down, you will see the new "dynamic loading functions")

COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com
Apache Lenya                              http://lenya.apache.org