Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Joseph M." <jo...@femalenetwork.com> on 2002/02/14 02:15:33 UTC

URL redirect

Hello,

Is it possible to redirect a URL without Changing the URL on the browser?

TNX

Re: URL redirect :: Apache URL Rewriting Module

Posted by SSleeper <SS...@iProsperOnline.com>.
Can you give an example of how you config the Rewrite directives. The
samples in the online doc are a little sterile.

Can this method be used for a catch all, ie.. www.domain.com/klsdhfkjhdf ,
can I redirect it and keep the path in a variable, and show an address of my
choosing on the URL address bar.

See my post "ErrorDocument Internal Link". for more detail.

Thanks
Victor Nichols

Posted by "Korey G." <ko...@awpg.com>.

Re: URL redirect

Posted by "Alex \"Sniper\" Togstad" <sn...@3dretreat.com>.

Re: URL redirect

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
"Joseph M." wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to redirect a URL without Changing the URL on the browser?

Strictly speaking "Redirect" has a very precise meaning - a 301 or 302
HTTP code which intructs the browser to fetch a different URL. Normally,
the browser will display this change to the user.

However, you can achieve the effect by using mod_rewrite. You set a
RewriteRule which will cause the *server* to fetch a different URL and
send it to the client. The client never sees the new URL (unless you
want it to...).

Read the excellent documentation on mod_rewrite that came with your
apache distro and see if that's what you want...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: URL redirect

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.