Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Arthur.hk.chan@gmail.com" <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/17 07:05:12 UTC

How will Hadoop handle it when a datanode server with total hardware failure?

Hi,

If each of  my datanode servers has 8 hard disks (a 10-node cluster) and I use the default replication factor of 3, how will Hadoop handle it when a datanode with total hardware failure suddenly?

Regards
Arthur

Re: How will Hadoop handle it when a datanode server with total hardware failure?

Posted by zhangyujian1984 <zh...@gmail.com>.
i think hadoop treats a node as a  minimal unit, which means a internal failure will be regards as a node failure.
datanode uses heartbeat to keep block alive, if any block failure was detected by namenode, it will be recovered
in another datanode.

Yujian Zhang
Southeast University, Nanjing, China

From: Arthur.hk.chan@gmail.com
Date: 2014-12-17 14:05
To: <us...@hadoop.apache.org>
CC: Arthur.hk.chan@gmail.com
Subject: How will Hadoop handle it when a datanode server with total hardware failure?

Posted by Josh Baer <jb...@gmail.com>.
Three spindles failing on three different machines could potentially cause
data loss issues if they fail simultaneously-- which would be pretty
uncommon and affect only a small percentage of data. Otherwise if one
machine or individual spindle fails, the blocks that are stored on those
machines will get replicated on your remaining healthy machines after the
datanode is marked as dead by the namenode (this time is configurable in
settings). If the machine comes back online, you'll have 4 replications
temporarily.

You can read more about it here:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HdfsDesign.html#Data_Replication

Posted by Josh Baer <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Baer <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Baer <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arthur Chan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Arthur Chan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Arthur Chan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Arthur Chan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Harshit Mathur <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arthur,

--
Harshit Mathur

Re: How will Hadoop handle it when a datanode server with total hardware failure?

Posted by Harshit Mathur <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arthur,

--
Harshit Mathur

Re: How will Hadoop handle it when a datanode server with total hardware failure?

Posted by Harshit Mathur <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arthur,

--
Harshit Mathur

Re: How will Hadoop handle it when a datanode server with total hardware failure?

Posted by Harshit Mathur <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arthur,

--
Harshit Mathur