Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2005/12/05 13:22:14 UTC

Release 5.5.14 or retag 5.5.13

Hi,

I know, it's been only couple of days, but the 5.5.13 build is broken
because we did not tag the tomcat-native (APR) to 1.1.1 version, that
is required because of extra API.

Perhaps we can retag the 5.5.13 because the needed changes are in
nsi installer script and tomcat-native.tar.gz source package.

So, I will tag the connectors with TOMCAT_NATIVE_1_1_1 and upload
the sources and binaries to our European site (heanet).
Also, since the build/tomcat.nsi will need a different url
it will need to be retaged too.

Any other ideas/proposals?

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Release 5.5.14 or retag 5.5.13

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know, it's been only couple of days, but the 5.5.13 build is broken
> because we did not tag the tomcat-native (APR) to 1.1.1 version, that
> is required because of extra API.

Numbers are cheap, burn another.  Once it's tagged and rolled, even if it's
not released, it's better to simply create a new tag.

Bill

Re: Release 5.5.14 or retag 5.5.13

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Yoav Shapira wrote:
> > This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways.  Why isn't
> > this as simple as a user who downloaded 5.5.13 already going to
> > download the updated connectors/APR and plugging that in?  Why does it
> > have to be integrated into the release of Tomcat itself, especially
> > since it's an optional dependency?
>
> Installer has an task for downloading binaries, so, since it poinits
> to the old version it would be downloaded.

I've installed th apache-tomcat-5.5.13.exe with native support on Windows XP
and the APR Connectors work fine for me. A quick look with dependency walker
on the tcnative-1.dll the installer downloaded shows that it contains
_Java_org_apache_tomcat_jni_Socket_setrbb@20
which is the method that got reported in an UnsatisfiedLinkError on my Linux
host when I used a libtcnative-1.so built from the tomcat-native.tar.gz that
is distributed with apache-tomcat-5.5.13.tar.gz.

Regards
  mks

Re: Release 5.5.14 or retag 5.5.13

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> I'll tag and cut 5.5.14 tomorrow like a new release.  I don't want to
> re-tag 5.5.13, I think that would confuse users more.  I'll make the
> changes clear in the release announcement email (that's why I wanted
> clarification myself ;)).
>
> I'm planning to do it at 9am my time, which is 1400h UTC/GMT tomorrow,
> December 6th.

Sorry for all the trouble.

Rémy

Re: Release 5.5.14 or retag 5.5.13

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:

> I'm planning to do it at 9am my time, which is 1400h UTC/GMT tomorrow,
> December 6th.

OK.
I've committed the changes and tag the native.
The sources are at:
http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/
They are also at:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/tomcat/native/1.1.1/
as well a binaries.

So, feel free to cut the new release when ready.

Once again, sorry for that 'version confusion'.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> I'm planning to do it at 9am my time, which is 1400h UTC/GMT tomorrow,
> December 6th.

Perfect.
By that time the mirrors will pick up
the new tomcat-native-1.1.1.tar.gz.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

>. In that case the build would fail instead creating a wrong one.

Ah, OK, that's good.

--
Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow

Re: Release 5.5.14 or retag 5.5.13

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>Installer has an task for downloading binaries, so, since it poinits
>>to the old version it would be downloaded.
>>The second is that the tomcat-native.tar.gz is also downloaded
>>during build, so again the old version is used, and the user
>>must use the version from SVN if he wish that connector is working.
>

> OK.  So let's say you build and tag native 1.1.1, update tomcat.nsi
> and build.xml as needed tonight.  Then I tag and cut 5.5.14 tomorrow.
> We'd be all set for now, right?

Correct.

> Is there a way we can prevent this from happening in the future, by
> somehow loosening the version number linkup or making it configurable
> in some way that's easy for the user to change?

We should be more careful in the future when there is a version bump,
like for any other external component.
It is my fault because I should update build.xml and .nsi when new
API was added. In that case the build would fail instead creating a
wrong one.

For win32, the .dll's in 1.1.0 are actually the one from 1.1.1, but the
sources are wrong, so the unix build fails unless used from SVN.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I'm hesitant to re-tag or re-release 5.5.13, but I have no problem
cutting a 5.5.14 as soon as tomorrow if you so desire.  But before I
do either, let me try to make sure I understand the issue.

The tomcat.nsi and/or build.xml files have a hard-coded version number
for the API we want, and this version number is now out of date?  What
are the consequences of using 5.5.13 with the APR connector right now?

If we cut tag/cut 5.5.14, do I need to do anything other than the
normal release procedures, or will you do the additional steps
(tagging the connectors, uploading binaries to HEAnet, updating
tomcat.nsi and build.xml)?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways.  Why isn't
this as simple as a user who downloaded 5.5.13 already going to
download the updated connectors/APR and plugging that in?  Why does it
have to be integrated into the release of Tomcat itself, especially
since it's an optional dependency?

Thanks in advance for explaining ;)

Yoav