Posted to users@solr.apache.org by The Maverick <ma...@posteo.de> on 2021/04/09 13:52:09 UTC

Basic server setup

Hello.
I have almost 2 decades of development experience. I ha e recently started to use Solr for my life long project.
I am looking for :
1-The best way to get documents into the solr.. Currently writing my own console app to do so, which will iterate over HTML files in folders ..how do you guys manage it .
2- server configuration eg how about  1 core with 2gb ram and 25 GB disk to start with .. I will start with about 1000 docs but it will grow for sure.

3- any beginners tips and tricks or any links to start with basics solr in practice.  I have read a few books which describe how it all works but none talks about practical setup and architecture.

Regards

Re: Basic server setup

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
The most relevant presentation for the beginners is probably this one:
https://www.slideshare.net/arafalov/rapid-solr-schema-development-phone-directory
. Some other presentations are next to it under the same username.

Simple configs that are opposite to Solr's current kitchen sink
approach are: https://github.com/arafalov/simplest-solr-config .
Understanding both and their differences was very helpful to my
learning process. Related presentation is at:
https://www.slideshare.net/arafalov/rebuilding-solr-6-examples-layer-by-layer-lucenesolrrevolution-2016
.

Tweaking data before schema is URPs:
https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_8/update-request-processors.html , I
find they are like a hidden power not many people realize about.
https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_8/update-request-processors.html . For
example Schemaless mode is just a bunch of URPs.

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. Deployment story is a separate discussion, deserving its own
thread. Make sure to give a bit more details on
clustered/non-clustered, version, specific pains, etc. There are many
people with different needs and experiences.

Re: Basic server setup

Posted by Shahzad <sh...@posteo.net>.
Thanks Alex

Re: Basic server setup