Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com> on 2007/09/14 17:48:25 UTC

Re: Requests for XSLT 2.0 support

Hi, Johannes.

Johannes Neubauer <jo...@cs.uni-dortmund.de> wrote on
2007-09-05 05:01:00 AM:
> Henry Zongaro schrieb:
> > I received eight (8) responses in which users indicated that they
would
> > like to see an open source implementation of XSLT 2.0 from the ASF.
>
> I appreciate, that I'm not alone with my wishes, but your mail didn't
> say anything about the consequences of your poll. Could you tell me/us,
> if there definitely will be an XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 implementation in
> a future Xalan release? The reason why I ask you or someone else of the
> Xalan team to make a definite statement is, because I have to decide if
> I should start to develope with Saxon basic, in order to switch to xalan
> later on, or not.

Sorry for my delay in responding.

Though I'm a member of the Apache Xalan PMC, I can't speak on behalf of
the PMC.  However, the PMC ordinarily conducts its business in public on
the xalan-dev mailing list, so if the PMC had put in place any plans for
producing an XSLT/XPath 2.0 implementation, you would have heard about it
already.

I personally would very much like to see an open source XSLT 2.0
implementation developed by Apache.  However, I don't think a "critical
mass" of contributors who are able to commit the time necessary to produce
such an implementation has stepped forward yet.  (I myself am unable to
commit the time right now.)  Until we achieve that critical mass, we won't
see an XSLT 2.0 implementation in this space.

Thanks,

Henry
Henry Zongaro      XSLT Processors Development
mailto:zongaro@ca.ibm.com