Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by jeff saremi <je...@hotmail.com> on 2015/10/16 17:43:47 UTC

Insight into Spark Packages

I'm looking for any form of documentation on Spark Packages
Specifically, what happens when one issues a command like the following:

$SPARK_HOME/bin/spark-shell --packages RedisLabs:spark-redis:0.1.0

Something like an architecture diagram. What happens when this package gets submitted? Does this need to be done each time? Is that package downloaded each time? Is there a persistent cache on the server (master i guess)?
Can these packages be installed offline with no Internet connectivity?
How does a package get created?

and so on and so forth

Re: Insight into Spark Packages

Posted by Jakob Odersky <jo...@gmail.com>.
[repost to mailing list]

I don't know much about packages, but have you heard about the
sbt-spark-package plugin?
Looking at the code, specifically
https://github.com/databricks/sbt-spark-package/blob/master/src/main/scala/sbtsparkpackage/SparkPackagePlugin.scala,
might give you insight on the details about package creation. Package
submission is implemented in
https://github.com/databricks/sbt-spark-package/blob/master/src/main/scala/sbtsparkpackage/SparkPackageHttp.scala

At a quick first overview, it seems packages are bundled as maven artifacts
and then posted to "http://spark-packages.org/api/submit-release".

Hope this helps for your last question