Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/12 01:26:19 UTC

Change the quick start archetype a bit

I'm working on a new design for our quick start archetype and was
thinking about changing how the quick start renders the home page.

For an idea of the new quick start page: http://i.imgur.com/slwlCfX.png

I've never liked that a user needs to remove the home page markup and
component from the HomePage class and html file. I'd rather have them
be skeletons.

So my thinking is to ship wicket-core with a quick start home page
(with inline styling and assets), and reference that from
WicketApplication in the getHomePage() method, something like:

@Override
protected Class<? extends WebPage> getHomePage()
{
   if(QuickStartWelcomePage.isFirstRender())
   {
       return QuickStartWelcomePage.class;
    }
    return HomePage.class
}

And have QuickStartWelcomePage write a marker file to the container's
temp folder for which the isFirstRender() tests its existence for
determining if the welcome page was first rendered. After the first
render, the quick start will just render the empty page.

The QuickStartWelcomePage can then be I18N and provide a welcome in
the locale of the user starting the app, and these I18N files won't
encumber the quick start package.

The quick start it self can then just consist of 4 Java classes:
Start, HomePage, HomePageTest and WicketApplication, 1 HTML file, the
web.xml file and pom.xml. These files can be the absolute minimum
without any embellishments (other than the getHomePage()
implementation.

WDYT?

Martijn

Re: Change the quick start archetype a bit

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I like the new look & feel !

But I do not like very much the idea to mix core & quickstart into core...
More precisely:
Having a QuickStartPage can makes sense (in a quickstart package for
instance) but having WebApplication that reference/use/test
QuickStartPage.class, I do like less. I would prefer having a
QuickStartApplication that would have following signature: protected
abstract Class<? extends QuickStartPage> getHomePage()...

Just to be sure: we will still provide the quickstart archetype, it just
will use the newly created classes and embedded style, right?

Thanks & best regards,
Sebastien.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joachim Rohde <ma...@joachimrohde.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
Hi,

I like the proposal.

Perhaps a "continue to homepage" link together with a "don't show again"
checkbox would be an alternative to a 'self-destructing' message.

Have fun
Sven

Posted by Rob Audenaerde <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martijn,